• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got the nighttime blues :( UPDATE: Horrible night again

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Otay- So, I just moved Oliver and Blaise into my room after I had it painted and got new carpeting :D Olvier had been living in my room beforehand, so nothing was new about that, but Blaise had always lived downstairs.

I am very excited to have them both in my room where I can give them more attention, but Blaise always has to bring problems :cry:

Blaise will not shut-up and go to sleep and night :cry: He is so loud that I wake up every 15 minutes, and that my dog Oreo, who also sleeps in the room, is soo scared of the noise that he is shaking :cry:

Blaise likes to bite the cage bars, flip his litterboxes, dig and dig and dig and the lino flooring, and stomp his foot about every minute :? :x It got so bad last night that after I had thrown every pillow off of my bed (at his cage :roll: :oops:) that I had to get up at 4:00am and put him in a carrier to make him stop :shock: :( That was not fun for me to do (catching a over-excited rabbit in the dark :roll: )

Oliver, Oreo, & I need some sleep :cry: What should I do to keep him quiet? I have already taken out all of his toys and put a blanket over his cage :?: Any more suggestions?

HELP, please :D

Leah xx

are they bonded and living togehter or seperately im confused sorry its been a long day!
i found two buns togehter make less noise.but bertie became a terror keeping me awake..they were free roaming in my room and hes asbad as the kittens overnite for snooping!1 A 15lb rabbit with the urge to explore everything in my room aaargh plus he snores something awful!! Bif was no trouble meek n mild girl only made a noise jumpingin and out litter tray..until she discovered a carboard box lol!
yup our old bun woozle had to be covered overnite with a towel or blanket..he wouldnt go to sleep until we did! then he realised if he chewed threw the towel it was fun but the towel kept him from any draughts in the lounge in cold weather so he soon stopped!!

maybe theyre bored.try running them ragged till you go to bed yourself and give them botha nice bit of attention even a hug and a treat..usually works unless you have a bertie!! :lol:

No, they are not bonded as Blaise will have none of that :cry: They are next to eachother so *Hopefully* they will get used to the fact that they can be nice :roll: and may bond in the furture :D

As for now though, he doens't really seem to be going after Oliver. The noise is just because...well I dont know...he knows it drives me crazy!!! :roll: :lol:

And for the boredom, I have no idea! I had Blaise out for about 15 minutes last night before he got tired and decided he wanted to go back into his cage :roll: He is such a little stinker! Maybe I'll lock him out of his cage tonight and chase him around the room to get him nice and tired out :lol:

Thanks for the help :D Any more suggestions (that don't require me running around my room, chasing my rabbit like a loony :lol: :lol: ) are very welcome :D

Leah xx

Well maybe tying his little paws together and giving him a good shot or vodka or two! I dunno hun. My baby girls are in the room next to me and at night they are noisy too and have to be shut in their hutch to stop them from putting clogs on and doing a full tap dance! All their toys come out and the lights go off to signal bed time! Maybe the carrier over night is going to be the only way if you are all gonna get some night nights. Bless you hunny x

I really want this to work out as I just hate him being all the way downstairs :cry:

But last night was just ridiculuos. Me being up all the time, my poor Oreo dog SHAKING because he was so scared :cry: And I'm sure Oliver didn't sleep a wink either (he is a good boy and sleeps through the night :D)

Blaise, Blaise, Blaise... :( :roll:

Unfortunately it's fairly natural for bunnies to be active at night. The trouble is by removing everything at night when he's active he'll get more bored which is likely to result in more cage chewing which is a sign of frustration/boredom. You need to do the opposite, give him more things to keep him occupied... but quieter things!

Firstly fix anything down that makes a noise and reduce the noise anything else makes. So for example use cable ties to attach his litter tray to the bars so he can't throw it (drill a small hole to put the ties through. Water bottles are noisy when shaken so fix that more tightly to the cage and if he rattles it alot try looking at different styles some are quiter than others. Remove his food bowl, he won't be needing that (I'll get to that later) and then he can't throw it. You might find a cable tie or two will hold the door firmer so that won't rattle. A piece of polystyrene or card under the cage may damping any stamping sounds.

Next you need to provide quiet but entertaining things for him to do. I'm not sure what style his cage is but if it's tall enough hang things so he can only just reach them like his veggies. Put the hay on top of his cage so he has to stretch and work to pull it through. It sounds like he likes digging so give him a cardboard box filled with hay/straw to dig in. You can sprinkle a little rabbit food in to to make it more tempting. A treatball is a good idea but you may find it noisy if he bashes it around. In which case small cardboard boxes with food in a small hole cut may work better. Feeding less dry food and more hay will keep his teeth busy away from the bars. You can also try cable tying bits of wood to the bars in his favourite chewing places. A paper bag filled with hay and a little food is another quietish toy.

You'll probably have to try things to work out which is quiet and keeps him busy and rotate them so he doesn't get board. A good rule of thumb is anything that slows down how fast he can finish of his pellets & veg will keep him out of trouble longest.

Good luck!

Tam

Thanks Tam :D

I've just secured litter trays tonight (what a job :roll:) so I hope that will help!
I already have been taking his food bowls out at night, and since he is drinking out of a bowl, noise isn't an issue there :D
Erm...I have a BUNCH of chewy wood toys that he did have in his cage, but was throwing them around (causing lots of noise) so maybe I'll tie those down so he can't throw them, but he can chew them :D
I usually give him some time out before bed (to stretch) and then I give him his veggies when I turn the lights out (they are on a hanging toy in his cage) so that should be good :D

I guess I've been super-duper lucky having Oliver who sleeps through the night :D I hope that Blaise just may catch on :D :wink: :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the help again! I'll try some new things tonight and I'll let you know how it goes!

Leah xx

He also might be making more noise because he knows you're there. Try putting a blanket over part of his cage so he can't see you. Just prop the blanket up so he can't reach through the bars and chew on it.

Good luck!

naturestee said:
He also might be making more noise because he knows you're there. Try putting a blanket over part of his cage so he can't see you. Just prop the blanket up so he can't reach through the bars and chew on it.

Good luck!

1 step ahead of you chick :wink: I've had the blanket up over his cage since I moved him up to my room, and it obviously hasn't helped :cry:

Thanks for the advice, and I'm going to need some luck tonight! I'll let you know how everything went tonight as soon as possible :D

Leah xx

Two rabbits, a dog and a human all in one bedroom? Why don't you leave the buns downstairs to sleep? It won't make much difference to them but you'll certainly sleep better! Does the room still smell freshly painted? Maybe they don't like that on their ultra-sensitive noses.

Oh my god, I know how you feel Leah, at least I have a door inbetween me and my 3 bunnies, they make a right racket in the night sometimes but are generally very good.

Its just they know when breakfast time is and start clanking their bowls around, its fine on a work day but at 7am on a Sunday morning I'm just like nooooooo go back to sleeeeeeep :lol:

Hope the problem gets better soon :)

Aww, I can't really add anything extra to Tam's excellent advice, but I just wanted to say that I feel for you! :lol:

Jen drove me mad when she was indoors recovering from her spay :oops: She loves her jingle ball and shook it continuously during the night - it was like having a heard of reindeer in the next room! :lol:

capel said:
Two rabbits, a dog and a human all in one bedroom? Why don't you leave the buns downstairs to sleep? It won't make much difference to them but you'll certainly sleep better! Does the room still smell freshly painted? Maybe they don't like that on their ultra-sensitive noses.

Yes, there is 4 of us :D :D :D
I just dont know what to do :cry: I love having my ickle Oliver in my room with me, and I wouldn't want him to be all the way downstairs :? But, I also dont want Blaise to be alone :? :?
Plus, I spent nearly 4 hours building them a new cage in my room and taking down Blaise's old cage downstairs :( If I move them down then I will have to repeat that process again :roll: :cry: I just dont know what do to!

As for the paint, no :D I waited the correct time before Oreo, Oliver, Blaise, & I slept in there :D

Leah xx

Ok, I promised to let you know how the night went, and let me tell you I am falling asleep writing this now :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
It started off at 11:30pm when I turned off the lights, gave them some veg, and tried to fall asleep. Blaise started right off the bat with the digging in his litter boxes :roll: I left him alone (still digging) for about an hour before I got up and took both his litter boxes out :roll: I then managed to fall asleep until 1:00am when he woke up up trying to open his cage door. At this point I was not in the mood for being patient and I put him strait in the carrier. Then at 4:00am I was awoken again by Blaise chewing the carrier door bars and trying to move the carrier (where he thought he was going, I have no idea :roll: :?: ). So, I decided he had enough time out time and put him back in his cage. From 4:00am to 6:30am (when my alarm went off) he continiued to bother me with his stomping and chewing.

I know that I moved him around more than I really should have, but it was the middle of the night for goodness sake! I wan't thinking right! :roll:

And he was so loud that we not only woke me, Olvier, and Oreo up each time, but we woke my mum up several times (she is in a room across the hall :shock:)

At this point I dont know what to do! I had planned this out so well and now he is bring such a bad boy :cry: I just want him and Oliver to have eachother's company while I am at school and busy. I jsut want to have them both in my room so that they can get my full attention everyday. But I guess my wishes wont come true :cry:

What should I do??? :cry:

maybe a treat ball full of food will keep him occupied, and hang vegetables from the cagefoor with string etc etc also stuff a cardboard roll with veggties and hay

I know exactly how you feel. My bun is downstairs but he twangs on his bars a lot at the moment. He has lots of food, toys etc. He is well looked after but he still does it. Mostly it is from 10pm while we're watching TV and then early in the morning. He woke me up from downstairs this morning :evil: It is starting to become a real problem. I've tried the lemon juice on his bars and telling him no. There seems to be no stopping him.

Maybe instead of trying to quiet th buns, you could work on yourself? Hot bath before bed, lavender oil on pillow etc? I can sleep through World War 3 :oops: It might just be a case of getting used to the extra noise.

I take the noisiest items out of the cage and give them loads of veggies just as I'm about to fall asleep, and hope that I will sleep through any noise.

It's so stressful being woken up though, you really don't act like yourself.

Back