• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do your buns drink?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I have been wondering how much water all your buns drink? Its just Buu gets through a whole water bottle a day sometimes more (I think its a medium size) but Trip and Scarlett dont even drink half a bottle a day :?

They all have the same size bottles. Its not something I should be worried about is it?

Crikey, That does seem like an awful lot of water honey!! :? I think i'd be a little concerened too :? .. Tills drinks about half a bowlful + Jen about 1/4 bottle Xx

When Asta had a bottle, she drank about 1/4 of a litre a day. Though it did vary from day to day. It's harder to tell now because she has a bowl.

Lily hardly drinks anything. somedays it doesn't look like she's drank anything. i check that the bottles working regularly so i guess she's not that thirsty. Pip doesn't seem to be a big drinker either.

Fiona xxx

My two don't drink that much. Sometimes it worries me that they dont drink enough especially Fudge. They are both healthy buns though so must be getting enough fluids ..

Mine have bowls so hard to tell how much they drink. It is not a lot though. Maybe quarter of a bowl a day?????

Could your bottle be faulty/leaking???

Normal water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs. Rabbits who have a lot of fresh Veg drink less as they get some fluids from the fresh food. If your Rabbit is drinking well in excess of the norm on a daily basis and is weeing a lot (very watery wee) then I would consult your Vet for advice

Janex

My rabbit Lily hardly drinks from her bottle or bowl, but when i let her have free time in the garden she drinks from plant pots, puddles and i've even caught her drinking from the pond :shock: but my new rabbit Charlie drinks alot about half a bottle a day.

Hmm see she has always drunk this much ever since she was a baby :? and she has had plenty of visits to the vet for health checks since then.

I actually thought it was Trip that wasnt drinking enough when I got him and noticed the difference, I mentioned to the vet how he didnt seem to drink as much as Buu but the vet thought it was fine. It was only when I gave Scarlett a bottle instead of a bowl a couple of weeks ago that I noticed she drinks roughly the same as Trip and started thinking omg why is Buu drinking so much compared to the both of them.

Trip has his myxi vac tomorrow so I will mention it to the vet again, just wanted to check I wasnt the only person who thought it was strange

As Jane says, I've noticed that it depends on what veg they have and when. Usually I give my buns their veggies and fresh hay in the morning. During the day, they'll drink maybe a third of a bottle between them (hard to tell as I have two bottles on the hutch and they drink from both!). In the evening, however, they only get pellets and hay and they drink more during the night as a result.

Mine drinks 3/4 of a medium bottle but that's over night and hardly any during the day same iwith his food :?

both my boys drink approx 150 - 200ml a day depending on weather and stuff, but when i had flossie she used to drink double that on exactly the same diet :?

Could your bottle be faulty/leaking???

Nope, she has gone through loads of bottles and always drunk the same amount. And she has two bottles one on the hutch and one on the run. She also eats a lot of hay compared to the other two. But she gets fresh veg everday and is fed the same amount of everything as Trip. But she does get a lot more exercise than him, she goes nuts running around the garden while he just sits there eating grass :lol:

If your Rabbit is drinking well in excess of the norm on a daily basis and is weeing a lot (very watery wee) then I would consult your Vet for advice

The litter trays are emptied sometimes twice a day so I havent really noticed if she wees more than they do (she must do though if she is drinking more) but her wee isnt watery at all it looks just like the others.

I will get her to the vet tomorrow

Thank you all X

When I said a whole bottle a day, I meant that lasts a day and then the night as well :oops: sorry that wasnt very clear. I give her fresh water every morning and she will have half a bottle left when I check at night, then the next morning when I go to change it there will just be a few drops left

sillyrabbit said:
When I said a whole bottle a day, I meant that lasts a day and then the night as well :oops: sorry that wasnt very clear. I give her fresh water every morning and she will have half a bottle left when I check at night, then the next morning when I go to change it there will just be a few drops left

The bottles tend to leak once half empty :wink:

Janex

The bottles tend to leak once half empty

The vet thinks thats what is happening :oops: I couldnt get an appointment for her today so I took her instead of Trip and made an appointment for him on Thursday. She actually did a wee in her carrier and the vet said it looks normal and he checked her over and said she seems perfectly healthy :D

Thank you all I got really worried there for a bit x

Mine have 2x 320ml water bottles for the 2 bunnies and they usually drink 1-1.5 bottles per day (24 hours). Last week they seemed to be going down really quick and discovered that the cardboard round the edge of their dog crate was touching the mouth piece making them leak.

Back