• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can bunnies escape from dog crates?

Alfie_and_angel

Alpha Buck
i am thinking of buying a dog crate to replace my argos storage panel bunny pen. I have looked at some on ebay and also there are some on half-price at petplanet.

One thing i worry about is that the gaps between the bars might be big enough for my bun (lionhead) to squeeze through. This is because I have only seen pics of the crates and can never find out how big the mesh is? This is prob coz if you're targeting owners of large breed dogs, squeezing thru won't be too much of a concern.

I assumed that as so many people on here have them that the buns can't get out but having seen the pic on stories and photos of the bun squeezing under the door - I want to make doubly sure a dog crate will be safe.

Alfie is out most of the day and gets on very well with the cats under supervision, however, I want peace of mind that bunnies can't get out and cats can't get in when we're both out.

We want to get the biggest one so that it will be suitable for getting alfie a boyfriend in the near future but I am worried that the bigger the crate the bigger the gaps. Can anyone tell me how big the gaps are?

Thanksalot

Barney, my Dwarf lop who is quite big shot out of the bottom gap of mine. Only done it once and he's grown abit now. It's only the very botton two rows on mine that are a bit bog so you could always cover them :D

I guess it depends on the make then because I have a 48" crate and I can't imagine anything bigger than a baby getting through the bars.

Spacegirl said:
I guess it depends on the make then because I have a 48" crate and I can't imagine anything bigger than a baby getting through the bars.

Thats what I thought! To be honest I was literally stunned and it made me feel sick when he did it. I snapped some polystyrene(hoe on earth do you spell that?), not even considering the noise it would make. It sounded like a gun. Anyway, Barney shot therough the bars, I didn't beleive it at first and though they'd knawed through one, how I don't know but it seemed more plausible. He hasn't one it again, it probably hurt abit :shock:

My bridge bunn Rowan could escape from a dog crate and he was a 4kg rex! :shock:
i think it does depend on the make tho, this one has a bigger gap along one side, so i had to push it up against the wall.

mandy said:
My bridge bunn Rowan could escape from a dog crate and he was a 4kg rex! :shock:
i think it does depend on the make tho, this one has a bigger gap along one side, so i had to push it up against the wall.

Uh-oh that's what I'm worrying about. could I ask what make your cate is? I know I could always cover the bits at ground level but then if I put a shelf in it'll be the same issue up there. I'd like to get one that I'm fairly sure will be big enough but secure enough for 2 small bunnies.

Thanks for your responses guys - could anyone who has smallish rabbits in dogrcrates with no reported Houdini-isms let me know what make&model/shop/seller that I might find one?

Thanks so much

Alfie_and_angel said:
mandy said:

Uh-oh that's what I'm worrying about. could I ask what make your cate is? I know I could always cover the bits at ground level but then if I put a shelf in it'll be the same issue up there. I'd like to get one that I'm fairly sure will be big enough but secure enough for 2 small bunnies.

Thanks for your responses guys - could anyone who has smallish rabbits in dogrcrates with no reported Houdini-isms let me know what make&model/shop/seller that I might find one?

Thanks so much

The one they can get out of is from Argos, but there are better ones from Ebay. I brought one from a seller called 'pet shop rugley' and there is hardly any gaps...although my baby foster rexes could get out but htey were very small :lol: .

I know a couple of people have nethies in crates so they must be ok for little buns.

here you go, it is nicola c who keeps her netherland dwarfs in a crate:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35829&highlight=

ha ha aww, I want nethies now :lol:

Thanks for that info Mandy - it has put my mind at rest a bit. :D I will look up pet shop rugley on ebay!

Rowan was a beautiful bun btw :(

Aw thank you, i really miss him and so does Audrey :( , but Im not in a position to get her another friend at the mo.

Good luck with getting your crate xx

we had the largest one from argos until Bif arived.we got a huge rottweiler one from ebay and yes they could get through the gaps up to their midrifts! i covered it all around with stiff card from old delivery boxes.used to give them smething to do overnite!!

now ive seperated Bif and bertie from our kittens to keep bif quiet and and let her rest..ive put up 5 panles of our playpen that had 8 sides and attached it to the crate..one problem..the kitties can get through the gaps1 sooo i turned the dog crate upside down! i took the metal tray out as it scares bif anyway especially with big ole bertie bouncin around onit!!

why didnt i think of it before!1 It makes the doorway lower too so no having to make ramps for short or weeny bunnies!!

bifs been confined to the whole thing with bertie shes too scared and in pain to protest much i think..i dont let bertie out..apart from hugs on setee as she panicks when he leaves her.

so go ahead as long as you put the crate upside down youll be fine..i didnt believe it when somebody told me that ages ago..i wished now id listened!!

just to show how big ours is..heres a piccy of one same size!! hmm that one doesnt have huge gaps tho!!
http://www.thedoginn.com/acatalog/Black_Dog_Cage_Large.html

oh and the perfect floor lining for the pampered house bun..i recomend it instead of straw confine that to the litter box n hay rack!

http://www.thedoginn.com/acatalog/ProFleece_dog_bedding_mats.html

go for the very large n trim!

btw our crate cost £36 if i can find the link off my daughter i will post it tomorrow!

The two babies can get through the bars, and so can Flo (dutch) but Chance (dwarf lop) gave and went to sleep!

My Lionhead Teddy used to be able to fit his head through one of the bars on his dog crate when he was a baby. Not seem him do it recently though and they have never escaped :)

Back