• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how big does a carrier need to be*** more help please :D

Isabel

Warren Veteran
For two buns?
Just seen a great one on ebay which is 50cm by 34x34.

Does that sound too small? I've got a dwarf lop and a nethie x.
and if that is too small what size should I aim for?

If it's just for travel to/from vets then big enough so they can both lie down and not much else is fine. If it's too big they start sliding around as you go around corners ;)

Tam

Cool, I think that will be ok then. It's bigger than the box carrier I've been making do with! Only one way to see I suppose.

I was looking at a folding one made out of metal frame covered in nylon. It says it is suitable for rabits. Has anyone else got a fabric carrier?

I wouldn't get for fabric as the buns will probably make their own doorway. They also provide less protection if you have a car accident or from passing dogs/cats at the vet.

If storage is an issue then some of the plastic ones unclip into two halfs that stack together.

Tam

Cool thanks Tamsin. I think I would be able to store a plastic one so I'll keep looking.

Just out of interest does anyone have one with a top opening? I think it would be easier to have one that they can trot into but can be examined from above.

IsabelM said:
Cool thanks Tamsin. I think I would be able to store a plastic one so I'll keep looking.

Just out of interest does anyone have one with a top opening? I think it would be easier to have one that they can trot into but can be examined from above.

I have one that opens from the top and has a doorway too, and its great :) X

beckiboo186 said:
IsabelM said:

I have one that opens from the top and has a doorway too, and its great :) X

Where did you get it from?

Yes I replaced my other one for a top opening one. I got mine inP@H, though you can often pick up a bargain on ebay

capel said:
Yes I replaced my other one for a top opening one. I got mine inP@H, though you can often pick up a bargain on ebay

Thank you :D
Non of the ones on ebay seem to be top openng, I'll keep an eye out.

Can anyone tell me what size carrier i should be going for a small/medium lop. I can only find dog carriers in my area and am a bit wary of buying one of the internet incase it's to small :?

Tamsin said:
If it's just for travel to/from vets then big enough so they can both lie down and not much else is fine. If it's too big they start sliding around as you go around corners ;)

Tam

Does this help Kezza30? The one I was looking at was.

The cardboard pet carrier I have been using for my dwarf lop is about 46cm long, 26cm wide and 33cm high. That fits him fine :D

Thankyou Isabel, that helps loads. I can find one around the same size and not worry about him not fitting :D

medium sized cat carriers are usually ok..lots of room for blankets and towels to help kep warm/stop slipping/soak up wes! And room for another bun or fave teddy and a bit of hay or grens to amusethem.

Oh dear i have had to get a fabric one on wheels..it lifts off the frame so you can put it up on the table and it seperates for transport in car/taxi..no buns have chewed yet..i had to have this as bertie and bif together are too much to carry!! Nearly 20lb for someone with a knackered ankle who walks with a crutch and has a bad back and drops things whilst having epeileptic blackouts!1 Mm not as strudy or safe as a plastic one maybe but in my case much safer for us both!! plus i can get away with leaning on the frame instead of taking my crutch with for vet visits.

i must get nikki to send me some piccies off the digi camera i dont have any on mine and havent got techie enuff to transfer!! im learning!

ha ha Gem you will be my witness tomorrow as to why the carier is needed! :lol:

cant find ours there but im sooo tempted by this one cept bertie wouldnt fit! :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-2-in-1-Pe...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh i lie..found ours!! and in the pic the sides are mesh..yep but they have roll down heavy canvas that you can roll up in hot cars! its great bif loves it in theres and bertie thingks its well comfy thank you..the nurses at vets are so happy ive got it..they tried lifting it without wheels opps! now they say are you bringing the stroller oh good!!
perfect for nipping across the road to me mums fits both buns AND kittycats in there with room to spare! now just ned a way of fixing it to the front of my daughters manual wheelchair!! i can push em both at same time then!( im looking forward to her getting a new electric chair i tel you!!)

heres our stroller and from same folks..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PET-CARRIER-S...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back