• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting/mites

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Sandy is moulting and have just given him a good brush, when I was brushing him a noticed little brown specks in his coat, I would describe them as nits. Also Mia has a few as well I`ll speak to the vet about treatment for them.

Also Sandy is not looking his best at the moment :? , is it due to the moult???

And one last question I give them a piece each daily of papaya sp?? should I increase that due to moulting, especially as Mia loves to groom Sandy???

Mandy

Mites are usually indicated in rabbits by circular patches of stubble where the hair shaft has broken off half way. The brown stuff may just be dirt in their hair unless you put some on white paper and it is actually moving!

If they are moving I would have the rabbits down the vets for appropriate treatment.

Moults do seem to make bunnies a bit more lethargic and if you have a long-haired bunny moulting then increasing the papaya for both is a good idea.

Caz

when dillion moults it puts him of colour for a few days first time it happend i thought their was something wrong with him.
you can imagine the shame when the vet says "buns tend to become a little grumpy and off colour when they moult" and i was like whats a moult :oops: :oops: :lol:

Hi. They sound like fur mites. My rabbit Daisy has them at the moment and she is going through a heavy moult to. They don't tend to make rabbits too itchy unless they have quite a few. Most rabbits carry a small number of them. Ivermectin kills them, so it is worth going to the vets to get some. Hope that helps :D
Emily

Back