• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh No! Babies and now more babies??

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
You may remember a couple of weeks ago I put a thread up telling everyone that I had just had in a mummy with 4 babies born that morning and the daddy in another box that turned out to be another female who had been attacked by the mummy :shock: :shock:

Well this is the mummy taken 2 days after she arrived

Heidi1.jpg

These are her 4 babies taken at 8 days old

BabiesNest10.jpg

And these are her 4 babies at 20 days old

BabiesNest54.jpg

Well the babies are now 25 days old and Heidi (Mum) is looking rather rotund :shock: :shock: and has started running around with mouthfuls of hay :shock: :shock:

What do I do? any advice please?

Sounds like there may be more on the way :shock: :roll:

What I have done before was that I created a safe area for mum and her new babies and also had an area where the older babies had access to. Fortuntely at that time I was working from home. I would keep the older babies away from the newer babies giving mum access to both rabbits separately. Mum would stay with the new babies overnight. I did this to prevent the older babies trampling on the new babies.

Good luck

Thanks, I am hoping and praying that I am wrong and maybe there is some other explanation for her behaviour but I am rather worried

Oh well!, we won't have to wait long!

Thanks for the advice

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I'd say its time for a glass or two ( or 3 or 4!!) of vino!!

Sending 'please let it be a pseudo-pregnancy vibes'

Janex

glass.........who said glass, I think it's bottle :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jane has a mummy that gave birth to 8 just after she came in, I've got this mummy with her 4 babies and could be another litter, then Jane took in a stray from the local vets and we are sure she is pregnant!!

There are babies everywhere!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

snowy said:
glass.........who said glass, I think it's bottle :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jane has a mummy that gave birth to 8 just after she came in, I've got this mummy with her 4 babies and could be another litter, then Jane took in a stray from the local vets and we are sure she is pregnant!!

There are babies everywhere!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG :shock: :shock:

Think calming thoughts Theo, think calming thoughts.....

Janex

Poor you Theo..
and mum looks the double of Willow who came from the same place....never got a reply to my last enquiry by the way :(

I feel like a swan, I am calm and serene on top and paddling like bl**dy h*ll underneath :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh well, nobody said it would be easy :lol: :lol:

It's just all these babies, because obviously we can't home them until they are neutered and so it's a 6 month job!, and I really don't know what I am going to do if Heidi is pregnant again, I mean can she look after 2 litters? jrn1310 has done it so it must be possible :shock: :shock:

If I get any space I will help, but I just took in a Mummy bunny and her two litters this weekend:( Only two in the first and 1 in the secongd though(the rest died before they came here :cry: ). One of the 8 week old babies is sooooooo tiny, about a third the size of the other baby! Hopefully that is just because it has inherited the dwarfing gene - mum is a minilop. Dad was obviously a much larger rabbit as the other baby and the 2 week old baby are large. The wee one that barely has its eyes open is nearly as big as the 8wk old! Nice and fat and round too from getting all her milk.
Not to mention the litter of Contys..... :love: and the last big litter Jane sent me and the two babies from another unexpected litter that came in two weeks ago :roll:

This really shouldn't be the time of year for so many babies :?

I only have one left to neuter from the huge number of babies I had in last summer - 31 of them :shock: - they do get sorted in the end :D 8) Now I just need homes for them.....

doorkeeper said:
If I get any space I will help, but I just took in a Mummy bunny and her two litters this weekend:( Only two in the first and 1 in the secongd though(the rest died before they came here :cry: ). One of the 8 week old babies is sooooooo tiny, about a third the size of the other baby! Hopefully that is just because it has inherited the dwarfing gene - mum is a minilop. Dad was obviously a much larger rabbit as the other baby and the 2 week old baby are large. The wee one that barely has its eyes open is nearly as big as the 8wk old! Nice and fat and round too from getting all her milk.
Not to mention the litter of Contys..... :love: and the last big litter Jane sent me and the two babies from another unexpected litter that came in two weeks ago :roll:

This really shouldn't be the time of year for so many babies :?

I only have one left to neuter from the huge number of babies I had in last summer - 31 of them :shock: - they do get sorted in the end :D 8) Now I just need homes for them.....

OMG Louise!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm OK for the space if she has another litter although will have to move things around a bit but it is the worry of her looking after 2 litters, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's phantom!!

Eeeeeeek! :shock: Sending buckets loads of `no babies` vibes................ Plus a large bottle of vino.............................

Su.x

snowy said:
You may remember a couple of weeks ago I put a thread up telling everyone that I had just had in a mummy with 4 babies born that morning and the daddy in another box that turned out to be another female who had been attacked by the mummy :shock: :shock:

Heidi1.jpg

BabiesNest10.jpg

BabiesNest54.jpg

Well the babies are now 25 days old and Heidi (Mum) is looking rather rotund :shock: :shock: and has started running around with mouthfuls of hay :shock: :shock:

I took in a mum rabbit who was living in a 4 foot cage with dad , five 5 week old babies and four 1 week old babies.Dad was obviously removed and she brought all 9 babies up well, plus the third litter of 2 that arrived 3 weeks later. It took a lot out of her but she coped well and is now living a happy and contented life ( neutered of course ) Its not ideal obviously but hopefully yours will cope just as well.

christine said:
snowy said:

Heidi1.jpg

BabiesNest10.jpg

BabiesNest54.jpg

I took in a mum rabbit who was living in a 4 foot cage with dad , five 5 week old babies and four 1 week old babies.Dad was obviously removed and she brought all 9 babies up well, plus the third litter of 2 that arrived 3 weeks later. It took a lot out of her but she coped well and is now living a happy and contented life ( neutered of course ) Its not ideal obviously but hopefully yours will cope just as well.

Oh flipping 'eck!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: , I will just have to sit it out and see what happens.........these babies are now 25 days according to the lady who brought them to me but they could be a day or two older!! so I haven't got long to wait

On one hand its good to get hold of babies, so you can spay and neuter and stop some sources of breeding. However, then you have to keep them for such a long time awaiting their ops. Do you not find, Theo, the longer you keep them you have trouble giving them up? I am one useless fosterer.

I know I do. Jasper and Holly are supposed to have been rehomed...but she is so cute and he is sooo naughty!

raine said:
On one hand its good to get hold of babies, so you can spay and neuter and stop some sources of breeding. However, then you have to keep them for such a long time awaiting their ops. Do you not find, Theo, the longer you keep them you have trouble giving them up? I am one useless fosterer.

Yes, it is at least a 6 month job when you have babies.

Do I find I have trouble giving them up the longer I keep them..........you bet I do :cry: :cry: :cry:, even if I have only had them for a week or two it really gets to me and in the car all the way to Jane I am crying and then when I drive away I am crying and I sniffle all through the day and even weeks after I get upset, stupid really because they have gone to really good loving homes but I just get sooooo attached.

I have to keep saying to myself that if I keep them then I won't have the space to help anymore and the are 1000's out there desperatley needing our help who are far worse off, I find that helps. But it is soooo hard!!!

Back