• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a question about emigrating to australia/new zealand

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
I was wondering, I'm sure I'd heard somewhere that you can't take rabbits into australia or new zealand

Does anyone know if this is true? or what the procedure is to take your buns with you.

We are thinking about moving out there in a couple of years, but if I can't take my bunnies it's a dealbreaker for me I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Nicola

You can't take fruit products in so I doubt rabbits are aloud.
They have a massive "problem" with rabbits in Oz which were introduced by us Europeans probably for a bit of weekend shooting practice!

Can't remember which thread but someone posted last week or so that to keep a rabbit in Oz you have to be a magician (get practicing!). Having said that though, I'm sure there is an RU member who lives in Australia????
Not sure about NZ but like I said they are really strict with any food going in because of diseases so I imagine they would be stricter with animals.

I know someone on here had previously said that depending on what state you live in will depend on whether you can have rabbits or not, some states only allow owners to have a certain maximum number of rabbits.

Thanks.

I had a quick look on the australian department of agriculture, it had some general info. Basically it didn't say you can't take domestic rabbits, but there were some particulars like you can't put hay or straw in the box with them. :? :? :shock:

I don't know now. :( We want a better quality of life, but I love my rabbits to bits and would never give them up.

Nicola

A friend of mine is looking at possibly moving to Oz and her OH told her that it is very difficult to take animals in to the country.

I think it depends to where you're moving to as in some states you can't keep them at all - so obviously you can't import them.

I think the myxi vaccine is also unavailable there.

Tam

Back