• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Info on spaying please

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Please could anyone direct me to any articles about cancer rates in unspayed does and the general benefits, which has not been written by the house rabbit society but is still a 'good' source?

And any more recent information other than the original study please?

naturestee said:
This is a great article that was actually written by a breeder.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1155/UC.html

This doesn't have statistics, but it has descriptions and pictures of the surgery and of healthy and diseased organs.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/ovario.PDF

I have not heard of any more recent studies, but that does not mean they're not out there. Although rabbit health studies probably don't get much funding.

That first one is great. Very informative, and it is good to see the information coming from a different source as it is less easily dismissed then.

thank you for those links.

Someone asked me the other day why we are all so willing to listen to a study done 40 YEARS ago? If there had been another study done more recently it may seem more believeable.

What do you think?

mandy said:
thank you for those links.

Someone asked me the other day why we are all so willing to listen to a study done 40 YEARS ago? If there had been another study done more recently it may seem more believeable.

What do you think?

Well I think if you were to ask any Vet who routinely spays hundreds of Does they would say that uterine abnormalities in Does as young as 2 are not at all unusual. So I'd say that those Vets who are spaying Does daily in 2007 should be listened to. Cant get more up-to-date than that IMO :D

Janex

It's a shame some of the vets that do large numbers of spays won't publish some official statistics. Give Christine a nudge ;)

Back