• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got to stop going into pets shops

karen354

Warren Veteran
Just nipped into my local pet shop the giant flemish had no hay yet again :( ...
I told the woman that worked there & she looked at me soft!! I said as you know it's good to have hay a good supply of hay there for him at all times..

I then watched a couple with 2 tiny kids buying a small bun, I heard the dad saying she only needs a tiny hutch because she only small :( the mum was looking at a tiny thing for £29 :( I said to her oh isn't it awful how small some of these hutches are.. I did see her then go & look at a larger one with a run..So hopefully they will think & get a much bigger one.

:( :( wouldn't you think people would realise the rabbits grow :roll: One mum at school complained to me that her 'dwarf' rabbit had outgrown his hutch and I was, like, well get a bigger one then..... wouldn't mind except her OH is a joiner.

I'm like you, need to stop going in, maybe we need to channel energies into trying to improve petshop conditions by raising awareness of rabbits/piggies needs.

I was going into Boots but the next thing I knew I was in Pets@Home looking at the buns....
I always get upset coming out of there & makes me upset all day..

I have stopped going in. Don't remember the last time I was in Pets at Home. I know that I am taking a 'ignorance is bliss' stance, but I know I'll end up buying if I saw one in a bad way and I don't want to buy from pet shops.

I just wish they would ban all these tiny hutches from even being sold.

I have too, I find myself wanting to "rescue" them, and I cant which makes me so so sad.
I wonder if some sort of hutch size and run size awareness campaign could be started?

I wonder if some sort of hutch size and run size awareness campaign could be started?

I've been thinking that cos I'm sick and tired of banging my head against a brick wall with stupid people who don't comprehend that rabbits have needs like a cat or dog!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's needs to be done all over the country by all of us at the same time.

nicola

Pet shops

Not all pet shops are bad. i bought my Floppy nad Patch from an independent local pet shop and I knew nothing about caring for rabbits. The pet shop owner had bred rabbits so knew quite a lot and told me a lot of basic stuff I needed to know. I don't think much of Pets at Home though. The workers don't often handle them properly and it fills me with dread when I see young children have them as pets. I'm sure a lot of parents look after them properly but rabbits are such shy creatures, they need a lot of patience.

I would be happy to lend a hand. My Mum works for the RSPCA so im sure she could pull some strings

Back