• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused, please help!

TRACEY

Banned
Last week I posted that we had managed to rebond Blue and Billy.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions. They were fine for a couple of days then had a fight, I put them in the pet carrier took them out in the car, we smeared some banana on the back of their necks which took their mind off the fighting as they spent ages cleaning mainly themselves not each other :roll: . Then they were best of friends again, then about a day later another fight started from nowhere followed by friends again.

The fighting begins after one of them has sniffed the others bottom area, they chase and then they fight.

Not 100% which one is the "boss" as one will lower his head to be groomed and the other lowers his head at the same time, leaving them nose to nose.

They were neutuered back in October but they still do seem to have an odour sometimes around their bum areas which our other 2 do not (they were neuteured in Sept) . Is this an odour they let off during a fight or if they get scared etc?. Theres is not any spray just smell.

Should I take them back to the vets and get them checked to make sure the ops were done properly or are they still trying to sort out who is the boss and hopefully the fighting and this odour will sort itself out.

Thanks for listening :)

Tracey x

Sorry, i know this may sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by fight? Do they actually try to attack one another & lock horns so to speak or is it just a bit of a scuffle with a little bit of fur flying?

Su.x

Yeah as they are both boys I feel they will need to fight out the dominance. You will always get a scuffle with hormonal animals that are bonding. Then they will seem fine. If they keep fighting and it is aggresive then obviously split them up. How much bonding space are you giving them? Do they have a place to run and hide?

Thanks for your replies. The attacks the brothers are having are actual fighting, they flip each other in the air, lock together, claws and teeth etc.

They are indoors at the moment, they have a huge dog crate with a run attached to it. There did have unlimited space but were quite discructive so we got a run for them. The reason the are inside is because Blue already lived indoors and we didnt want to bond them outside as its too cold to take him outdoors at the moment.

Sorry to seem a bit stupid :oops: but I thought once they were "done" they were not hormonal. I guess I am doing wrong in comparing them to the other bonded pair who are only a month older and do not seem to be homonal at all.

When they do kick off we put them in the pet carrier for a while and they calm down. Then put them back in the crate and they are all loved up again. :roll:

At the moment, they are sitting grooming and cuddling each other but at an instant a fight can kick off :cry:

Tracey x

Back