• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats your cleaning out routine??

Hi,

I just wondered how you all go about your daily chores of mucking out???

I usually clean mine out twice a week. Wee areas on a wednesday and then the whole thing is cleaned out on either sat or sun.

i get rid of all the bedding and sometimes i even hoover all the small bits to get rid of the dust aswell. i then disinfect, let dry, use layers of newspaper and then loads of hay and straw and then in a corner i put loads of grass.

but every week i feel as if im wasting loads of bedding. my rabbits are good at keeping themselves tidy and they only wee & poo in their 'disignated' areas. should i be changing their bedding once a week or as its winter is it ok to leave it and maybe change some bits and add some more straw to whats already there?

what do you guys do?

Well at the moment I only have 1 outdoor bunny.. He was my foster bun but I'm a right softie & can't give him up :(
He's in a poppy shed so I usually clean out his litter tray every 2 days.. His bedding once or twice a week. He's a good lad & usually only evey goes to the toilet in his litter.. Today I gave it a good scrub out & emptied everything out of his shed brushed everything out & put in everything fresh.. Sometimes I feel I am chucking out lots of hay/straw for no reason as he's not soiled it at all...

When I got him to foster New years eve I was cleaning him out twice a day :oops: :oops:... I thought this was the right thing to do as my buns were indoor bunnies... I know better now though

I think I wish my lot were that tidy!! :lol: I have my rabbits in hutch run combos in a barn so I clean the hutches out every other day, and scoop any wee and poo on the run floors into their litter trays in the hope that one day they'll get the idea! :roll: , the other day I clean out the run areas. It takes less time for me that way, about 1.5 hours a day which makes it far more manageable. I do find I waste a lot of hay but they love playing in it as well as weeing all over it ...... :shock:

Well Deej is an indoor bunny, so all we do is clean his litter trays out every other day, and hoover the room when we remember or it starts looking like a field! :lol:

Mine are both very clean in their hutch and the bedding is never wet and only has the occassional stray poo around, so I hardly ever clean out the bedding. I just top it up and every two weeks or so I take it all out,and hoover up the stuff that's distingrated into dust and the rest I keep in a bin liner and use that to put on top of the megazorb in the litter trays. I have 3 trays; 2 in the top hutch and1 in the run area. I rotate these around and only clean one out every day. Having said all that I DO check the state of the bedding everyday and of course if it is wet I do remove that part, though that's only happened about 4 or 5 times since I got the buns in April. The floor of the hutch is lined with floor tiles so I just give it a spray with hutch disinfectant and let it dry...no scrubbing required! Now that both buns are indoors while Bournville's recovering I may well let them stay as housebuns till the weather warms up..I must say it seems much easier, as a previous poster has said!

Mine are in a shed and use their hutch as a litter tray :roll: so I clean out the proper litter tray when it needs it and the hutch once a week.

I was sweeping out the shed weekly but having seen Elve's post last week about leaving the bedding I've left it - they've carefully arranged the hay into a 'nest' and they're always cuddled up asleep on it. They don't wee or poo on it so I'm leaving it. They help themselves to the hay from a bale and add to it everyday!!!

The only problem is I'm struggling to get into the shed now as there's so much hay behind the door :roll:

I usually top straw up when needed - move the run around 2 times a week then totally clean there hutch once a week - I use a hutch run combo but mine seem to only pee in there house which is annoying an I do not know how to stop this - any ideas?

i clean buzz out once a week, usually at the weekend, disinfect and dry etc. i clean the wee/poo corner (he is perfectly clean, i mean the poos are in a neat pile and everything, but you put a litter tray in and he flips it, oh well) every day. basically the messiest bit is his bed area because he digs in it so its all in a huuuuuuuge pile in the corner, then he has a bare bit which he sleeps on, now ive put a nice soft pet bed in there so he's enjoying that with the cold weather.

I clean the litter trays out everyday. I do all the hutches on a Saturday afternoon. I empty them out and hoover them, then I scrub them with boiling water and a tiny bit of dettol. Once they are dry I put new bedding in. I do this for Scarletts hutch on a Wednesday night as well because even though she uses her tray mosly she occasionaly doesnt

Bailey is a messy so and so whereas Donut is nice and tidy. Bailey gets done every two days and Donut every 3 days. Their hutches are checked daily though in case they need doing sooner. Bailey is a lot larger and his wees are gigantic! We did buy him a toilet, but he weed everywhere but in it :lol: :lol: Don't forget, mine are only in the hutch overnight and then go out during the day in the garden.

I change the litter trays every other day and scoop out any wee areas in the run. I give the whole hutch and run a good clean out once a week including disinfecting the floor which is concrete, and using vinegar in the litter trays. I stopped using hay in the bed area as Bundle peed all over it and started to stink :roll: so since I disinfected and used old towels as bedding that's solved the problem and the bed area stays nice and dry. Weedie is a very clean little boy and does all his toilet in the litter tray, whereas Bundle is a dirty little mare and likes to spread hers around! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Hello :) We clean out the rabbit houses from top to bottom every morning, and then clean out used litter trays over the day :)
We have a very strict routine, as we have so many bunnies.
Nothing gives us more pleasure, than seeing the bunnies in clean and fragrant units, happily munching on fresh hay.
I have around 150 litter trays to clean out during the three daily sanctuary mucking out rounds, so no wonder we have to start at 5.45am :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess it is a bit different if you only have one or two bunnies, but even then I have to admit I would clean them out every day :oops: :oops: .
We have never had fly strike (only with a bunny that arrived with it ), and many of the bunnies are a little incontinent being so elderly.
Best wishes

Got mine is a house rabbit so allways clean him out before I feed him wish is litter tray each day then dirty bedding as needed then a total clean out once a week,> I put newspaper down then sawdust on top then straw on top of that and hay in slepping den.

I clean out the litter tray at least once but sometimes twice a day, then I fully clean out the day area in the hutch once a week and clean out the bed area once every few weeks. Their bed area always stays so clean so there is not point in just replacing the straw with more straw. :D

Four of my six are free range and don't have a cage or hutch. They do have an A-shaped run with a hidey area but they don't wee in there. Benny and Domino have a hutch but they only wee in one corner downstairs. What I usually do is clean the litter trays every 3 days or so, and clean Benny and Domino's messy corner every 3 days or so, sweep out the A-shaped run every week (gets rid of uneaten hay etc.), and give Benny and Domino a full clean out every 3 weeks. I know that sounds like I'm leaving it ages but really there isn't a single bit of wee and hardly any poops!

Because the piggies wee and poo everywhere, I give them a full and thorough clean out every week.

AMETHYST

Hey
I clean my litter tray every two days depending on the mess - sometimes three days and clean their indoor set-up once a week!
Lian x

I gut the shed every fortnight, litter trays empted every second day, sprayed with formula H and refilled with megazorb.
Dougal and Mhairi are quite tidy rabbits, poos are in the litter tray and so are the pee, pees.

:D

Back