• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inconsiderate Vets!!!!

As some of you know my fudgie passed away quite unexpectedly!! well it was an absolute shocker and i have been in tears for days.

we are planning to overhaul our garden either this year or next and i have been deciding what to do with fudgie!! he cant be buried in the garden as we will be digging the whole thing up soon, so i called my local vets and asked if i could bring him in to have him cremated and they said yes, the charge was £15.55 for a rabbit.

Anyway i had an old blanket so i wrapped him up in that with a bit of hay inside and put him inside a box and wrapped it a lovely dark blue with silver star wrapping paper, and i put a little message in with him. (i hope you all dont think im mad). i didnt want to take him in a tesco bag thats for sure - my little man demanded respect!!!

i arrive at the vets and im next in q, and i say that id like to have my rabbit cremated. then the woman behind the desk said 'you cant cremate him in that thing, we will have to put him in a plastic bag. :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well that was it... i burst into tears and now i have images of the staff at the vets ripping open the box, chucking it all in the bin and stuffing poor fudgie in a plastic bag, only to be flung into the flames and treated with no respect... :( :( :(

why couldnt they have lead me to believe that he would be creamated in that box i made for him????????!!!!!!!!!!!! i prob would've felt a lot better knowing that!!

i shouldve buried him in the garden, but i didnt have a clue where. im never getting them cremated at a vets again!!!!

i feel so angry with myself!!!

Aww, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'd suggest writing to the head of the practice and complaining. No one should be treated like that. YOu'd think someone working at a vets would know better, surely they understand how important pets are to their owners. I doubt she'll be the one the deals with the animals so hopefully the other staff their will treat his body with respect :)

Tam

I'm so sorry they were so insensitive. I agree with Tamsin and think you should write to the head of the practice and complain about their attitude, you should have left there knowing Fudgie was going to be looked after and treated as you would like him to be. Binky free little bun.x

How awful! They could have shown some sensitivity, not least because you were PAYING THEM but because in that job they should know what people's pets mean to them. How awful and insensitive, they should not have treated you (or Fudgie, binky free little man) like that! *hugs*

Stupid :censored: woman :x
She had obviously had a sensitivity by-pass :roll:

A few years ago I had to have a bun pts at an emergency veterinary practice. A LARGE group of practices that charge 50 quid before they will even talk to you :roll: Anyways, as I was waiting in reception to settle the bill (£210 for out-of-hours consult, pts and cremation :shock: ) when the vet came out and said to the receptionist 'put this in the freezer will you' and handed her a black bin liner WITH MY RABBIT IN IT :evil: :cry: :cry:
I went HYSTERICAL :oops: sreaming at him for being so insensitive and unprofessional. All the :censored: said was. 'oh sorry, I thought you'd gone'...... :x :x

So I empathise with how you feel..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

How utterly dreadful for both of you. We had a similar thing with a kennels. We were on holiday and Tina, our dog died in kennels while we were away. We came to collect her not knowing this had happened and they had left all her things at reception, then said she''d died. They were really insensitive, even charging us for the blankets that she "soiled" and it turned out the kennels were way overcrowded. :cry:

That's very insensitive, as others have said I think a letter to the practice is in order. When we had our mouse pts we had a sympathy card from the vets the next day which I thought a lovely touch for my little boy.

Hopefully you won't need it for a long time but I do know you can have your pets cremated privately in 'pet crematoriums' but I guess this would be expensive.

i cant believe how awful that is, what the hell difference does it make to them if he's in a box!!!! im so sorry for your loss, and the way these people have treated you, its unbelievable that people working with animals on a daily basis could be so inconsiderate about someones pet.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

That's disgusting!
I'm a veterinary nurse, and if owners bring their deceased animals in a blanket/special box/with toys or flowers etc. I always put them in the cremation bag with the items - I'd never dream of doing anything different!
I'm sorry that the vets you went to did that to you - but I want to reassure you that not all vets are like that.

Thats total out of line the vets so be more carefull of people fealing as pets are part of the family after all :evil:

Im so sorry that happened to you :(

I would definetly write a letter to the practice. Working at a vet she should have known better, there was no need for that.

x

thank you for your comments.

i will write to the director there (he is a mate of my boss's at work) so i partically know of him - never met him tho.

im rubbish at writing letters!!! What shall i say? should i suggest his staff all go on a breavement counciling course??

Vets

Hi,

I'm SO very sorry to hear of what happened - it is dreadfully callous.

When I lost poor Splodge, the vet was very helpful, and the practice have a regular visit from the local pet crematorium. The crematorium lady was extremely kind and sensitive, and understood the situation very well.

Splodge and I were treated with respect, and his ashes were returned in a lovely wooden casket with his name on and a certificate to say it was him. There were no problems regarding my wishes, and he was put into a simple cardboard coffin when he had died.

I really am sorry, and what happened to poor Fudge and you was appalling and utterly unforgiveable,

With sympathy from Sue

Back