• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Height of pen

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I'm building a pen for Blaise & Oliver today (split in half of course :roll:) and I was just wondering what the reccomended height would be? It has to be tall enough to keep Blaise (5 pound lop) and Oliver (3 pound nethie) in, and my two dogs out :D :D

Any suggestions??

Leah xx

Do you know how high they can jump Leah? I'd probably make it at least 3 foot hight but higher if you can, some rabbits can jump higher than 3 foot though so you'll have to see if you think your boys can scale it! :shock: :wink:

I dont think I've EVER seen Blaise jump, and Oliver jumps up onto my bed that is about 2 ft high :D So you suggest 3-4 feet?? :D

Thanks chick!

Leah xx

Yeah I'd say so, my fatty rexes wont jump higher than about 2.5ft so I make their pens 3 foot high just to be safe. :D You could always make it a few inches higher that your ideal height to be on the safe side, also don't put anything they could use to climb over the fence (eg a box or carrier) near the fence, I've made that mistake before - very nearly had an escaped bunster! :shock:

My run is about 2.2ft high and originally, didn't have a lid. Jenny cleared it in about 0.3secs and gave me the fright of my life to boot :shock: :lol: I was horrified as she's not a big rabbit by any stretch of the imagination (1.9kg in weight)

A lid was made and installed pretty sharpish after that! :lol: I'd suggest at least 3ft if it's not going to be covered over :D

My past buns have always easily cleared a 2.5ft wall I'd go for 3-4', if you want to keep dogs out too then 4' is probably better.

Tam

I´d go for 3 to 4 foot. I soon discovered that even that can be insufficient if youve got a climber like Zeb (if his pen panels arent totally straight he´ll clear them immediately if he´s got an angle to grip!)

Good luck in making it bunny proof. If they do climb it then i think a lid would be the best bet. We´ve now got a net to keep Zeb nightmare bunny in!!

Sarah :)

I agree with most of the above. Make it at least 3'. My small rex(4lbs) managed to clamber out of the run which is just a bit over 3'. I'd left the cover off. I didn't think she could jump that high as I'd removed all the boxes etc that she could use as a jmping off point!!! Regardless of the height I'd advise you to get a cover for the run ..certainly to keep other animals out as well as keeping the buns in!

Make a top for it - foxes can scale 8 ft fences and have been known to come into gardens in daylight. A lid is the only way to keep everything out.

I would also strongly suggest a lidded run to prevent bunnies jumping out and predators jumping in.

I had a recently neutered rabbit scale a 3.5ft fence with no issue to get to a doe (spayed) - he bust his glued wound doing it and was chatting to someone the other week that had a bunny jump a 4ft sheer metal wall so it is not as if they could have climbed.

I would say a lid everytime - Sadie (my dog) could clear a four foot fence no issue if she wanted to and as the others said foxes can climb 6ft fences - not to mention cats and avian predators (we have huge barn owls nearby).

Caz

Back