• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trust Tills to get us stumped ..

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
.. again :roll: Every vet shes ever seen says she's a little thin, as you can feel her back bone, then when shes on the scales, they say shes a completely perfect weight?!! I'm not really bothered, as the (wonderful!) vet said the other day that she was such a healthy bun .. but Just wondered :) X

I can feel the backbone on F&B, as well as their hip(?)bones, and they are a perfect weight.

Does she get plenty of exercise? A prominent spine can be because they have muscle wastage, especially if they are otherwise a good weight.

We had an obese rabbit in at Greenfields whose spine was very prominent - she hadn't been getting enough exercise!

You should be able to feel the spine and hips on a healthy bunny but in one which is underweight or muscle wasted it feels a lot more bony - as if there is nothing between the skin and the bone underneath. Sorry - it's a bit hard to describe unless you've felt it!

Tilly looks perfect to me!!!
I tend to think mine are overweight, but until they lose this winter fur I am not doing anything about it, cos I think a lot of it is the fluff lol :lol:

Fia is like that. I am having to feed her oats at the mo to stop her feeling like a bag of bones (well slight exaggeration but she isn't as plump as Zion) and it seems to be doing the trick. When I took her to the vets they were happy with her weight - maybe its a girly thing....

Snowflakes mummy said:

.. and Me, but I'm ridiuclously bias!! :lol: Nix, She gets lots of exercise, That def. can't be the problem, as her hutch is big too so she's never in a small space ever :) Shiv Maybe it is a girly thing :roll: :lol: X

beckiboo186 said:
Snowflakes mummy said:

.. and Me, but I'm ridiuclously bias!! :lol: Nix, She gets lots of exercise, That def. can't be the problem, as her hutch is big too so she's never in a small space ever :) Shiv Maybe it is a girly thing :roll: :lol: X

Tills always looks good on her photos - just perfect. Molly is quite thin and I can feel her backbone but she too is a healthy weight. I suppose there is quite a difference between being able to feel the backbone and the backbone being prominent. She eats loads but is also a very active bunny so I think this means she stays nice and slender. It means she can do excellent binkies too! :lol: :D

Back