• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How far apart will they need to be? (sorry its long)

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
PLEASE HELP! Ok, I had the garden all planned out for where the hutches were going to go but I now need to rethink it all :(

Half of garden is covered in concrete slabs and the other half grass with a path leading to the house. We were going to have paving slabs on the smaller grass part of the garden and this would have been where Trip and Scarlett would live in their new hutch, with Buu staying at the top of the garden, so they wouldnt have really been able to see ecah other as the shed is kind of in the way. I will be bonding them hopefuly in the next couple of weeks depending on which days I can get off work. The grass on the smaller part was already in a bit of a mess with all the standing on it and getting things out of the shed.
So a couple of weeks ago my youngest brother and his friends dug this part up to make like a vegetable patch! And its so cute he has done it to grow veg for the buns. I hadnt actually told him I was using that part of the garden and me and my mum dont really want to tell him he cant do it and go covering it up. And my mum had told him he could have a small veg patch in the summer.

So Buu's run takes up half the top end which is concrete slabs. I have already brought the 6ft hutch with the run underneath from the happyhutch company. If I was to put Trip and Scarlett up the top they would be able to see Buu. Would they fight with each other if they could see Buu but not get to her?

The only other thing I have come up with is having one of them on the grass down the other end of the garden, but then its going to be a run on grass and although we dont have foxes over here I would be frightened that a cat could dig in and get them. I wouldnt have a wire base run as I wouldnt want to hurt their feet so one more question, Does anyone here have a run on grass without a wire floor and how do they stop things digging in?

I have been thinking about this for the last two weeks and cant come up with any ideas! Im getting really stressed out about it :(

Sorry this is so long, but I really would be interested to hear how close peoples pairs of buns are?

In my previous house I had my three hutches separated so that they couldn't see each other. When we moved here we put them all into the huge car port we have and they can all see each other - in fact two of them are just a few inches appart. I was really worried they would start fighting as they had had scraps before when their grass runs were too close together but in fact it didn't bother them at all and they are all fine.
I would try them and see. You might get a bit of dominance behaviour in the first few days but they hould settle down. I personally wouldn't want to put runs on grass because of the safety issue and also because you can't really sweep it out! But you could sink wire mesh under the ground and turf on top of it, I haven't done it because it sound tricky but I know other ppeople have!

When we got Mr Sniffs, we had no choice but to put his run next to Daisy&Maisy's. It use to drive him mad, but he did not real damage apart from running about in his run. We had to wait until they had all been done before we started to bond them.
For a while after the Operations they all share the shed, but Mr Sniffs still had his own Hutch and Run within the shed..

Now they are all 2gether, and bonding was no hassle. I do think that the time they spent seeing each other thru the runs helped with the bonding process.

I have 2 runs on grass and neither have wire floors. I have 12" wide strips of galvanised weld mesh which I lay down along the sides and anchor them down with house bricks if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of hours. There are foxes in our area(we are very rural) but I've never had a problem. My two bonded buns are in a hutch and run right next door to Furby's hutch and run, and after bournville's initial reaction he settled down, but I have put a piece of plywood between them so they can't see each other, though obviously they must be able to smell one another! I put their garden runs together on the lawn and all hell brook loose so now I have the garden runs at least 20ft apart.

Thanks guys

When we moved here we put them all into the huge car port we have and they can all see each other - in fact two of them are just a few inches appart

That has made me feel so much better. I was really getting worried that I would bond Trip and Scarlett then they would fall out if Buu was too close!

I will try them on the slabs first because I really dont want to have to put a run on the grass. I dont mind them using the runs on the grass when im home but these are runs they will have access to 24/7

There will be about 3ft between the both of them and at the minute Buu's run is covered with a blue waterproof sheet until the weather gets better, so while Trip and Scarlett settle into their new home they wont be able to see her. Im was just panicing about what would happen in summer when they dont have the sheet and will see each other.

My two bonded buns are in a hutch and run right next door to Furby's hutch and run, and after bournville's initial reaction he settled down, but I have put a piece of plywood between them so they can't see each other, though obviously they must be able to smell one another!

Thats made me feel better too, at least if they to react badly I know they might settle down

thank you all :D

You can buy large gauge wire mesh, with holes big enough for each of the rabbit's feet to be completely on grass. This also stops predators from digging in.

You could alternatively take up the turf, lay wire mesh and lay the turf on top.

Another option is to put concrete slabs around the edge of the run, but this is risky because something really persistent could still dig in/out if it was determined enough.

Back