• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Black toenail?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
Loopy (bunny) has a black toenail and has been holding his foot off the floor since yesterday afternoon. He seems a little under the weather but I think at his age ( 8 ) he finds any slight pain/ injury tiring.

Any ideas what it is? I am presuming it is just bruising and nothing more serious. Anyone else had this with their bunny?

Sounds potentially serious - a broken toe maybe? Broken nails just grow back, they don't change colour.

Rabbits hide pain very well because in the wild it would make them more attractive to predators. If he's showing that he's in pain it DEFINITELY needs treatment. Take him to the vets and have him checked over.

gia has had a black nail for years but she has no discomfort. if your bunny is showing signs of pain i'd get it checked

When Honey and Harly both broke a claw, the snapped edge sort of withered & went black, this in itself wasn't anything to worry about but if he won't stand on it then I would take him to a vet. I did anyway jst to make sure hadn't actually broken anything or that

Just got home from a late shift and he is now putting weight on it! God they worry you dont they!! Thanks for the replies, if i'm still not 100% sure on monday we will go to the vets x

Nix Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lucyj wrote:
When Honey and Harly both broke a claw, the snapped edge sort of withered & went black

Ooh, I haven't seen that before! I have learned something!

yep, the 1st time I took them to the vets to get their claws clipped, thr was hardly anything there for her to cut off, so the next time I left it a bit longer, but left them a week or 2 too long. Put Harly in the hutch 1 night (it sits on top off run), left hutch door open & went in2 run 2 pick up Honey, & when I let the lid of the run drop 1 of Harly's claws was in the hinge bit :oops: :cry: , and it broke off in2 the quick. Took him to the vets next day to get it checked over & the rest clipped, & she said it wud go black at the edge where it had been broke. Then when she clipped Honey's he had 1 which he had broke himself a little while before and it was already black at the edge.

Still need to get them checked out anyway jst incase, jst to make sure they haven't damaged the claw bed or broke anything, which could then lead to infection .

human also has black nail when the nail/finger hit something. In short, the nail darken part is cause by blood blocking at that region. But when that happens to a human, within weeks, it should disappear.

Back