• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

THUMPER HAS PULLED FUR OUT FROM HER TUMMY!??!!

thumperlop

Alpha Buck
Hi any ideas? Thumper was spayed 2weeks ago and was obviously shaved on her tummy. The scar has healed brilliantly and her fur grown back really quickly (tufty looking).

We took her to the vet on Thursday for a check up post-op and the vet said all was well and we had a good look at her tummy: fur intact. Then today when I was snuggling her i noticed a clean bald patch about an inch x an inch square, it looks like it did when they shaved her; but it would have surely grown back like the rest and we would have seen it?!

I have heard bunnies pull their fur out to make nests for their babies; but i can not find any fur in her bed area? Confused! Any ideas is it normal, could it be the scar is itchy? Could it be because the vet was holding her-touching the scar etc..... any thoughts welcome.

When rabbits nest they pull the fur out from their 'ruff' normally. I believe that you can't tell they've done it - no bald spots appear.

This is a wierd one and my Rosie used to do it too. She was spayed before we adopted her, but she still had a bald spot on her tummy, about where her spay scar would have been, where she pulled the fur out until a few months ago (we have had her for nearly 3 years). There was nothing wrong with her, it was just a habit I think - like humans biting their nails!

In your case, if it persists get her checked out in case it is something like mites and she is pulling out the fur because she is itching.

Thanks for the advice Nix; I have checked her thoroughly and no sign of mites thankfully :D

The patch has not got bigger, so I'm not sure maybe your right maybe she just liked the bald patch where it was :lol: It must be itchy when the fur it growing back so maybe thats why she's done it.

Will keep an eye on it and take her to the vets to be sure if it stays the same or gets bigger :shock:

Back