• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Bunny Housing

Monkey

Warren Veteran
Does anyone on here own a giant bunny? i.e. Papilino, British Giant, Continental, Flemish.......

What would you recomment for them for housing? I've been told that there are hutches out there but i thought they might be a bit small. Though i could convert a childrens wooden playhouse or a shed?

What are they like as pets being bigger than the average bun?

I think some people convert play houses. I haven't got one though sorry. Wish I did they look gorgeous!

I know, saw one in the pet shop but it was £149!!! I thought a bit pricey and i always worry about getting pet shop bunnies.

Have since found a proper Continential giant breeder but want to do all my home work and get a proper house sorted before a bun bun

£149!!!! :shock: :shock: Can't you just get a normal sized bunny and surround it with small objects to make it look like a giant. Much cheaper :D

i have a frenchie and his previous home was a shed with a huge huthc in it and a run outside..but hes so lazy he sometimes didnt appear for 3 days and each time jo foundhims noringhis head off! big buns cant be kept in small housing but they dont move very much i can tell you!
bertie lives as a house bun now!

i found the links on ross rabits but the prices on one site made me faint! £170!! mind you it was builkt just for giants!!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/rossrabbits/hutch-makers.htm

or this ad

http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/giant_rabbit_hutches_and_runs-o74301.html

wow i wish i had the cash for this..ideal for cats and rabbits..of any size!! just need a hutch to go in it!!
http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=19146

"needs at least a 7 - 9 foot hutch. Pet stores and garden centres do not sell hutches large enough to accommodate Giant rabbits and their companions. The alternative may be to purchase a Wendy house with a large exercise area, but this option can be pricey.”
quote from RWA

this should do it! :lol: http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/MainSite/erol.html#1x0

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemlist...p_Apex_64/findclas/Overlap_Apex_64/findchil/1

We have got a giant french lop. She has a shed and run that is attached to it. Here are some pics:

jessica_shed.jpg

shed-inside.jpg

Wow that shed looks so tidy... Fudge's shed has shredded paper straw & hay thrown everywhere.. Will use some lino in his shed I think thats a good idea..

Rabbits need sheltered accommodation which allows them 4 or more hops from end to end, to lay out fully across the width and to sit up on their back legs without bumping their head or ears. This is in addition to a run, either access to a seperate run with similar dimensions or - ideally - an attached run so that they can choose to be outside when they want to (but still have plenty of room to move about inside when the weather is bad in the winter).

So, really you are looking at converting a large shed or having house rabbits!

I fostered a flemish giant for a few months years ago and he came with an 8' hand built hutch (his owner built it as he couldn't find anything big enough) But the problem was that there wasn't enough height :? so I put my 2 that had the shed in his hutch and gave him their shed and a run that was 8' x 5'

I saw giant buns for the first time today at the Bradford Small Animal Show. They were hugh, bigger that a small dog!! One of these weighed in at 14 KGs :shock: I can't magine the space you would need for these buns.

They look a lot smaller in the photo though.
IMG_2719.jpg

My French Lops have a huge over 7ft long 3ft high almost 3 foot deep bunningham palace. Under is a 7ft by nearly 8ft 2 and a half foot high run. Cant remember the precise measurements right now. They also free range on the patios. Headroom is excellent and its of shed like proportions. :lol:

I breed British Giants and mine are all in custom built hutches
except for, which ever bunny is having babies, she then has the summer house which we converted into a little nursary for them
DSCF2523.jpg

princess.jpg

think carefully if you really want a giant bunny, they are fantastic pets but they do need room to grow, as for paying 170 quid for one, unless you are looking to show you shouldn't pay anymore than 60 quid max
keely

i have a giant bunny, but housing not an issue as she lives free range in the house. My others have childrens wooden wendy houses with an upstairs added and huge runs attached.....they are so economical!

I have a male Continental Giant (Bigwig) - he is free range (but only in the kitchen whilst I am out - kitchen is about 15 feet x 8 feet though). He is huge but very placid and am fairly sure he thinks he is a cat!

squeels said:
I breed British Giants and mine are all in custom built hutches
except for, which ever bunny is having babies, she then has the summer house which we converted into a little nursary for them
think carefully if you really want a giant bunny, they are fantastic pets but they do need room to grow, as for paying 170 quid for one, unless you are looking to show you shouldn't pay anymore than 60 quid max
keely

Wow!!! They're gorgeous, i am having a nice think about it, i'm in no rush anyway. I would try and get one on summer which would give me loads of time to do up a shed/play house and stuff to make it as bunny friendly as possible.

Thanks for all the advise though to eveyone! :D :D

Suzanne said:
I saw giant buns for the first time today at the Bradford Small Animal Show. They were hugh, bigger that a small dog!! One of these weighed in at 14 KGs :shock:

14Kilos can't be right - Zeus (my avatar) was a male conti and at 8kg he was slightly overweight - does get bigger but 14kgs is a seriously overweight rabbit.

I paid 80 pounds for him three-four years ago from a top breeder and got a few extras for that too. He was supposed to be show quality.

I *think* that the ones at P@H for 150-170 are already neutered but don't quote me.

Caz

Back