• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not Eating -After tooth op

willow123

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I am reasonably new to the forum, so firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone!

My name is Liz, and I have a were-rabbit called Willow, who is a little neutered boy of 2 years.

In early December, he stopped eating, and had to have his back teeth filed as they were growing in towards his tongue. After the first time, he came home, and started eating like a trooper. Sadly, on Wednesaday he had to have his teeth done again, and the vet said it is mainly one side which is growing in and there is nothing he can advise about helping him, as I am doing everything right. He said we noticed him stop eating straight away, and got him in early. The problem now is that he has no appetite. Before his second tooth op, he was attempting to eat nuts/currents/egg biscuit (anything soft really) and now he is just not eating.

Any ideas as to why this may be, or something that can tempt him into eating?

I have mushed up some banana, but he is just not interested in anything.

His normal diet consists of 90% timothy hay and a small spoon of commersial food , greens or fruit for the balance.

I am taking him to the vet again this evening, to get his temperature checked and see what's going on, but he is a foody, and it is not like him. He is also very quiet and sleepy. He has the run of the utility room when we are at home, which is most of the time, and normally when I open his cage door, he is pushing to be out, at the minute, he is just not interested in coming out.

Any advice greatly appreciated, as I am quite worried about this.

Thanks in advance,

Liz and Willow

Hello

When the molar teeth are burred it can disturb the tooth roots and cause some pain so I suspect Willow will require some pain relief. A bunny in pain wont eat. Has he poo'd? If not it really is essential that he has gut motility stimulant medication too and he must be syringe fed liquid feed several times a day until he is able to eat on his own. He may also have some infection in the soft tissue in his mouth which would need antibiotic treatment. Your Vet should also check Willows jaw line (mandible) for 'hot spots of pain' as this could indicate an infection in the actual tooth root itself.
I hope Willow is soon feeling better

Janex

Hi there. My bunnies all require regular dental treatment for spikes on their molars and usually take quite a few days t get back to eating fully. So I have to syringe feed them and tempt them will all the treats I can think of in that time.

I think they can sometimes get a bit sore after dental work. I have found that those bunnies of mine who have more 'agressive' dental work need quite a few days compared to those who only have a small amount of filing.

I am sure that one of my bunnies needed time to be convinced that eating was pleasant again!

Fiona x

Thank you both for your advice.....

Just back from my lovely vets, who has administered an antibiotic & pain killer injection, and gave me some appetite stimulent, and gave him a dose when we were there. The minute we got home, he went in his cage, and devoured some broccoli, some carrot and some food. I am going to give him another dose of the stimulant tonight, and make note of how much he has eaten in the morning.

Then, a couple of days of all his fave things to bild him up again, and back to hay, hay and more hay!! Trying to keep those teeth the best we can, bless him.

Feel VERY relieved to see him eat.

Thanks again for the advice :D

Liz and Willow were-bunny!

get well soon!

I hope willow gets better soon!
best wishes love Robyn, Flopsy and the backyard buns!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

painkillers are a great help to post dental buns with bif once the ga was out of her sytem she munched like crazy..mind you that was after a bit of intensive nursing as usual..the first time she had an ulcerated tongue underneath that the vets hadnt seen before her dental..if its sore thatll stop them wanting to eat..just put out the most tempting favourite foods and some realy fresh timmy hay..bunny bascis canadian 2nd cut is what bif started back on..and she couldnt eat the science selective for 24-36hrs so she was eating the highfibre pelet food from bunny basics that i put on as a topping usually to the ss. it helped her loads.

get those molars grinding little bun!!

purplebumble said:
get those molars grinding little bun!!

:lol: :lol: So glad to hear he is feeling better. Hope he can keep further problems at bay for a long while.

Fiona x

Back