• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi jab

trance

Warren Scout
Blimey, I have had rabbits all my life and I still keep asking you all questions!!!!

Anyway we have found a partner for my bunny at a local rescue. We are just waiting for him to be neutered.
Anyway the lady who runs it said she would give him his myxi jab along with my bunny if i wanted. I agreeed as it will be £20 for the 2.
Thinking about it I have only heard of vets giving the jab and not a rescue doing it themselves.
Just checking with you guys this is ok. :)

I vaccinate all my own Buns BUT only after training by a Vet
TBH I would not feel happy about anyone else but a Qualified Veterinary Surgeon vaccinating my Buns :? And of course it is ESSENTIAL that the Myxi Vaccine is given correctly ie 10% MUST be given intradermally.

Brief answer, NOPE I would not risk it :wink:

Janex

i personally would go to the vets to get the myxi jab done. at my vets they do a quick check over and make sure the bun is in good health when they vaccines aswell.
hello to a fella northants person aswell lol :wave:

lol theres actually a couple of people from here scattered about in northants. sunny corby here! :lol: sure you will get to see who the others are soon :D

Not so sunny Raunds :lol:
Do you know of any local rescue centres in the area, we have been to the one in Irthlingborough but cant seem to find any others.... :(

no afraid not. i know my vets meantioned someone who rehomed animals but im not sure where that is-am there on monday i can ask for you if you like. the nearest rescue/rehoming place run by someone who is on this site is honeybunnys in leicester i think. i know i had trouble finding somewhere when i was looking for my first bun

trance said:
Do you know of any local rescue centres in the area, we have been to the one in Irthlingborough but cant seem to find any others.... :(

oh i know where Raunds is! My dad owns a house and old doctors surgery there that he is going to build houses on!

As a qualifed veterinary nurse, I'm legally not allowed to administer vaccinations without a veterinary surgeon present - so to be honest, I don't see how the owner of the animal shelter is? Personally, I'd take the bunny to a vets to get it done, then it can have a full health check at the same time... At the practice I work at, we charge £23.50 for both jabs, so it'd be worth paying a little bit extra to get a vet to do it for you :)

Estelle said:
trance said:

oh i know where Raunds is! My dad owns a house and old doctors surgery there that he is going to build houses on!

hahaha, there has been loadsa gossip whats going there, now I know :lol:
Will stop the ole gossips here now :D

Back