• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudges vet check advice please

karen354

Warren Veteran
Okay Fudge had a good check over today ..
He's around 2 1/2 to 3 years old based on the evidence of his teeth the vet said.
He has Malocclusion (Molar teeth) the vet said it doesn't appear to be a problem at the moment but we need to be aware of it possible in the future... She said it's highly likely this was caused by incorrect diet before we had him..
Apart from that he's fine.
Any ideas what I can get him to help the teeth at all ?
He does get unlimited Timothy hay & lots of veggies...
Found it hard going back to the vets today as it was where Molly died last week, I was so hoping it wasn't going to be the same room I'd last left Molly but it was :( anyway I've done it now so I'll be okay to go there again..

Found it hard going back to the vets today as it was where Molly died last week, I was so hoping it wasn't going to be the same room I'd last left Molly but it was Sad anyway I've done it now so I'll be okay to go there again..

I know what you mean. It was the same for us a fortnight ago after Grace. Smudge was still having ongoing treatment which meant we were still going to the vets every few days. It's hard the first couple of times but it's slowly getting easier.

Nicola

I think I read here somewhere that if the problem is minor it can be held at bay by a good hay- filled diet. I'm sure someone with a bit of knowledge will come on and advise soon. :lol: Bump for this question.

Will have to ask Sooz if frankies teeth have been checked...
I nearly asked the vet if I could nip & see Furby :lol: I wonder if she would of let me..

She probably would have done! I was going to ask if I could ask if I could watch Furby's spay, but reckoned they'd have to say "No"..after all, they'd probably be inundated with request to watch if word got out!!

Fudge needs a maximum amount of hay in his diet, keep the pellets to a minimum with lots of hay and grass as the main part of his food. This will minimise the problems you will encounter.

Frankies teeth are Ok at the moment but he does eat an awful lot of hay. Does Fudge like hay? :D

Frankie loves his hay rack, I have to refill it at least twice a day, sometimes three times. Its odd how they are so different in some ways. :D

Fudge is not himself today :( hes had his mxyi jab yesterday & the vet check has really upset him :( he's stayed in his shed today & doesn't want to come out... He really got upset when I put him in his carrier yesterday he was scratching at the door trying to get out..

He probably feels a bit down because of the jab and the carrier probably reminds him of when he was last moved which was probably quite traumatic for him, Frankie didnt move for two days except to eat and drink. :(

As long as he is eating/drinking/deficating then he should be OK in a couple of days. :D

Andys put another level in his shed for him he loves being up there...
He refused to eat out of his regular bowl this morning (funny little man) so I changed bowls & he tucked into his food..
I'm quite worried incase he has problems with his teeth my heart sank when the vet said Malocclusion :(

Well given the age and that they are not bad enough to require burring yet then i would say it could be remedied with diet so that he could go months between dentals. This is what we are hoping with Fiver. He is 2 years and only just developed dental problems.

Back