• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming a rabbit

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Whats the best way to worm your rabbit, i've enver done this befoe and am cared he might give a real struggle when trying to get the syringe in his mouth. Also how do i know when i give him enough. I was told that i need to have the little wheel thing on the first blue line for day 1 then twist it down for day 2 etc. Does this mean only so much paste will come out for day 1 :?

The wheel will stop any more coming out than he needs - best thing to do is put the syringe just behind his incisors and squirt it in. He probably won't be too keen on it though...

Is this the panacur wormer :?

If so, the wheel will stop more coming out - if he gets stresses with the syringing you could try putting it on his food - might take that easier :wink: Apparently it's more palatable than the liquid panacur :?

Thanks will it need to be the same time every day, so if i do it today at 4.30pm i do it tommorow at 4.30pm and so on for the next 9 days. So it's done every 24 hours.

Yeah thats the one, with a wheel and blue lines. Is it correct that i move the wheel down to the next line on the 2nd day and so on.

Kezza30 said:
Thanks will it need to be the same time every day, so if i do it today at 4.30pm i do it tommorow at 4.30pm and so on for the next 9 days. So it's done every 24 hours.

:shock: :shock: Hope not! I haven't got a chance of doing it if it is! Procrastinating doing my 13 - going to take me hours ...... :roll:

That was actually very easy, Buttons gave me no trouble at all and was done straight away. :D

I don't know. I was told to give him it once a day for the next 9 so ws wondering if i should do it the same time everyday.

How many times a year does wormer need to be given to rabbits.

I didn't realise buns needed worming. Is this a new thing cause my mum got some of this paste free from the vet after she took Charlie and Tia for their Healthy Hopper MOT. What are the risks f they are not wormed?

I never knew either, the last time i had a rabbit was about 6 years ago when i was a kid. The paste is to prevent worms and E.Cuniculi. My leaflet i got says this can cause seizures, kidney failure, loss of vision, hind leg weakness and balance. I got mine for £6 not much money for safety :)

Mine took it easy aswell, tried to nibble the end at first but was fine after and only took a couple of minutes to get it done and plenty of cuddles for being a good boy :love:

Suzanne said:
I didn't realise buns needed worming. Is this a new thing cause my mum got some of this paste free from the vet after she took Charlie and Tia for their Healthy Hopper MOT. What are the risks f they are not wormed?

this is a good thread on worming Qs and As - if you plough through it :) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9860&highlight=worms

I think it needs a different strength of panacur to knock EC on the head though.

After Max getting E.Cuniculi (sp?) I would said this is definately worth getting - I think it saved his life (or at least the use of his back legs). One more day of it left to go and he looks right as rain again. I was so worried about him last weekend, I though he might die (the vet was optermistic but could not guarantee he would get better). I had never heard of worming rabbits before, but I will definatly be doing so in the future. For the sake of £6 or whatever it is, I promise you, you would not want to go through what I have just been through.

Suzanne said:

I think it is a newish thing, or so the vet said last week :) X

well blow me down, i have cared for Honey now for nearly a year now & as most of you know she as been at the vets for most of it & the vet as never told me she needed to be wormed, but now i have took in the 2 boys who are outside all day & as been to the vets also but still have not been told to worm them.
I have to take Honey back there again as her abbcess as come back on her hock :cry: & when i do i will be asking the vet why they have not mention this to me before now.
I'm really pleased i have read this tread.

I took a guinea pig to the vets today, and saw a poster about Panacur, so I asked the vet about it. It was really odd, as he said it was being licensed as a wormer, but was actually more useful for EC (can't spell it!), but that there's no need to treat for that unless the bunnies actually have it! Totally confused me, to be honest!! :?

I believe Panacur is not a preventative treatment. It can be used for E-C but only when buns have it. They need a 28 day course, and the amount they need depends on their weight.

My vet has said it's a prevention for E.C and worms rather than waiting for them to get it and treating it, prevent it instead :D

Back