• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

De-plum complication

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
As I posted on Jane's Sir Victor thread, Biscuit had his de-plum op this morning as well. I called at 1.45 to be told that he is in recovery but that there was a complication :shock:

She said that one of the ligatures slipped (I am presuming she means slipped inside his body). She said that she kept him under GA for longer than normal as she wanted to keep him still but that there was very little bleeding and that she things a clot formed and stopped the bleeding. There was a worry that they may have had to open him up to find the end of the ligature if he had bled, but she says he will be fine. As of 1.45, he was awake but hadn't eaten anything yet but she was glad that i had already mentioned that i wouldn't be able to pick him up until late this afternoon, otherwise I would have to take him on the bus and I really don't want to stress him anymore than he already is.

Is this likely to have any knock on effects with regards to his recovery? How can I best prepare from briniging him home. I plan on putting a towel for his bed, he has no hay or sawdust on his cage floor (on the floor of the dining room, he's well litter trained), but he has straw in his litter tray. Should I just line it with newspaper?

I have already been out and bought lots of yummy veg for him to entice him to eat and have kept a few of his favourite treats back as well. I am just glad that he is ok, he is such a lovely bun (and will be even more lovely now that he won't smell as much :lol: )

I'm sure it wont have any effect on his recovery - Frazer had to go back into theatre cos one of his plums had a complication and he recovered ok. I think Biscuit deserves to be spoilt rotten, as he is obviously going to be, and I'm sure he'll pull through just fine.x

I am sure he will be fine :D Just keep an eye on his plums to make sure they dont swell up too much or look very bruised.
Sir Victor was neutered today and he has shredded newspaper and soft hay in his litter tray. My vet uses internal sutures so there is really nothing for things to get stuck to.

Janex

Yup as Jane says look out for swollen plums and look out to see if they are bleeding to!.... my boys swelled up so much when I got home they started to bleed.
Keep him warm and encourage him with all his favs tonight - but if all is well he should be fine, Boyss tend to recover much quicker than girls

Thanks so much everyone! Even though I have been through this before , I feel like it is the 1st time again! I am about to set off to pick him up, can't wait to see the little guy!

Biscuit seem to be doing fine, is a little sore but that is to be expected. He is eating little but often, drinking, weeing and pooing, so I am a happy bunny mummy. He has been happy to let me rub his nose, head and ears. Should I worry that his ears are colder than normal??

Back