• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supposedly castrated rabbit

unalakey

Mama Doe
I have just returned from the vets with my new rabbit Charlie that i got two weeks ago from a nearby animal rescue to be told by the vet that he has not been castrated, when he was rehomed to me as neutered and it does state this on the adoption form. I phoned the rescue only to be told 'to bring him back and swap him' no apology :shock: I wont be taking him back cos i love him and he's mine now, anyway he has been booked in at the vets for castration next tuesday.

The rescue is nearby in Leigh, it is the nearest rescue (i think) to me that takes in rabbits, although they mainly have cats and dogs. Whan i got Charlie there was only three rabbits in, two females and Charlie. On his pen door it stated Charlie, black male, 1 year old and neutered.reason for rehoming: owners moving. He was in pretty bad condition, he is thin and has had bits of his ear missing although this has healed. I visited the day before i got him and even rang up the day after to check his details before setting off to pick him up as i wanted a male who had already been nuetered. It also clearly states on his adoption form 'nuetered'. :shock: I have a female rabbit who has been spayed! Thank god :lol: but this could have gone horribly wrong if he had been homed to someone with an unspayed female. To be honest the rescue wasent very good, although the rabbits were clean and had plenty of room and hay, but they didnt ask me any questions or homecheck me, i could of been anyone and they only charged 10 pounds :shock:

Wondered for a moment if it was the one I got my first guinea pigs from but that's at Edenfield. I also wasn't homechecked, they charged me £10 perpig and told me that both had been neutered (boar and sow). It turned out that not only had the female not been spayed (now I know more about pigs I wouldn't expect her to have been) but they had been in a run with their 6mth or so old sons and after having her a couple of weeks I realised she was pregnant. Not a good place!

haffyj said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: shocking

Sorry, going O/T here but with you and Gemma posting in succession it looks like your ickle 'beans' are having a race to get to the end of their 'Ticker'!! :lol: :lol:

Janex

God only knows if he had been placed with a female in the rescue :shock:
Anyway no harm done here (except on my bank balance :wink: ) he is booked next tuesday to be de-plummed, poor boy! I should of checked really, :oops: but i just took their word. He is such a gentle. loving rabbit but it does explain the strange smell i reported in an earlier post, someone suggested he wasent neutered :shock:

unalakey said:
God only knows if he had been placed with a female in the rescue :shock:
Anyway no harm done here (except on my bank balance :wink: ) he is booked next tuesday to be de-plummed, poor boy! I should of checked really, :oops: but i just took their word. He is such a gentle. loving rabbit but it does explain the strange smell i reported in an earlier post, someone suggested he wasent neutered :shock:

If it says on the adoption form that he was neutered then you should talk to the "rescue"! If that was to happen in the future and the new owner put an entire buck with an entire doe thinking the buck was neutered... :shock:

AMETHYST

I phoned the rescue after i came back from the vets, but all they would say is that they could only go off the word of previous owners and i could return him if i wanted :shock: but it says on there advertisement all animals are checked by a vet when they come to the shelter. Obviously they didnt check Charlie.

:shock: How ridiculous! Its fairly easy to tell if a male hasnt been neutered!

Am shocked also, that rather than saying they'd have him neutered for you, they instead offered to take him back :shock:

:shock: How awful! thats a bad situation but could have been so much worse if ed got to an entire doe..and youre right suppose it happens agin to someone else!
surely a vet check would entail seeing if hed had his plums removed?!! blimey couldnt miss our old buns ones..woozle didnt just look like a donkey!! :lol:
trouble is i know theyw ere doing their best but its situations like that thta puts folks off of gooing to any other rescues..

I have taken in so many rabbits off people who have had rabbits from there and had unsuspected littlers. I would ask them to pay for the castration, I am almost certain though that they don't neuter any of the rabbits.
Loopylops Rudy came from there he was in a terrible condition when I picked him up, they were going to pts him, he wasn't ill just had an abcess and all his fur was matted.

I am sure the owner is called Linda Buxton (I know it is definately Buxton) it may be worth giving her a ring.

Una if you give me a ring I will give you some info and perhaps an idea you can use to get them to pay for it :? I think you have my number

:shock: I remember hearing about that place! :evil:
Sounds like all the poor animals need taking out of there :cry:

Back