• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We need a gardener! (can anyone help)?

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
OK, I've been thinking hard so please bear with me here....

I was just looking at a post about some stunning (IMHO) bunnies on the feeads and it really got me to thinking that I would love to have another bunny (or 2), but the issue is our garden/space. Deej is an indoor bunny now, (as the garden got into a state), and he has a lot more room and company (from us as we are at home) as an indoor bunny, but we don't have a lot of room for a second indoor bun cage, and also we have issues as to whether he would take to a new bun, but...

thinking of those poor unwanted bunnies got me to thinking about the issue with our garden, and about trying to get our garden sorted out so we could give a bun or 2 a good outdoor home or maybe even help out by fostering buns.

The problem is both myself and my OH have injured our backs, so it's really difficult for us to do the pruning that needs doing right now, and we can't really afford to pay anyone to do it (haven't got any relatives or friends who would do it either). :(

Has anyone got any ideas links on "labour" exchanges or anything like that? Our freecyle admin wanted to set one up, but decided it wasn't practical for legal reasons *sigh*.

We have skills we could "trade" my OH is an IT technician by trade, so can sort out computer issues. I make jewellery, can sew, iron, cook, bake (and other crafts) and have experience in writing CV's covering letters, recruitment and office stuff (typing, letter writing etc etc).

I know it's cheeky (and I hope it's not against forum rules to ask for help) but I wondered if any members in our area could help out? It's only a small garden, and the problems not that serious it's just too much for us. You'd be helping us, we'd be helping you, and we would all be helping re-home some bunnies if it all went to plan.

Any comments on the whole idea would be much appreciated. :D

I think it is a really good idea. However not sure where you woudl advertise for trying to find a swap of trades.

I woudl wonder if you would be best finding someone through word of mouth. Do you go to any local groups, have friends you can trade skills for?

Great idea and I'd certainly be up for a bit of pruning in exchange for someone tackling my ironing mountain :oops: if you were in my area.

Bit stumped as to where you would advertise though.... sorry

jrn1310 said:
I think it is a really good idea. However not sure where you woudl advertise for trying to find a swap of trades.

I woudl wonder if you would be best finding someone through word of mouth. Do you go to any local groups, have friends you can trade skills for?

Sadly we don't have a big circle of friends, and certainly no one who would help us in the garden *sigh* :?

Hi you could try contacting local schools, they are always desperate for people to help, even if its just hearing kids read. And there may be some who are struggling academically who may be able to form a working party. I work with teenagers who have been excluded multiple times etc and this is the kind of thing we look to do, although unfortunately at the moment all our students are flat out working at the local city farm, and trying to fit in some academics. But you could try some of the local schools see if you get a response! x Jess

Aw what a shame you're not in this area as Rog is a fiend when he gets his hand on pruning shears, loppers and chainsaws, AND we need someone to declutter his computer!!! Ah well, perhaps someone from your neck of the woods will read this....Good luck

Hi there. Sorry to go off topic a little but I have often thought that a programme like GroundForce or one of those other gardening makeover programmes would be really interested in designing a garden to help rescue animals. Go on, apply to one of those programmes and go for a major revamp! As long as you don't mind being on TV!! :lol: Would be a great advert for bunny welfare too

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
Hi there. Sorry to go off topic a little but I have often thought that a programme like GroundForce or one of those other gardening makeover programmes would be really interested in designing a garden to help rescue animals. Go on, apply to one of those programmes and go for a major revamp! As long as you don't mind being on TV!! :lol: Would be a great advert for bunny welfare too

Fiona x

Oh I would so love to!!! Not sure what the landlord would think! :lol:

1) Lots of bushes (OK they are probably lovely shrubs or what have you but I'm no gardener so I don't know what they are :oops: ) need pruning.

2) There is a buddleia that was growing in the garden wall :shock: that came down in the wind (we are so lucky it didn't damage the wall) that needs chopping to bits, as it covers the small lawn area.

3)There is a huge yucca type thing that has got to be about 7 or 8 feet tall that needs some serious chopping to size (soo spiky), I have no idea how it manages to grow so fast!!!

With that done I can sweep up all the mess myself (I admit it our garden looks like a tip :oops: ), clear off what was once the lawn and re-sow it (um we managed to kill it by not cutting it and it died in the summer heat :oops: :oops: :oops:) and get it back to looking nice and being usable!.

And that's about it! Thing is we live in a 2 bed terraced house so we don't even have a large garden, but the layout is a bit silly as the huge yucca thing is right by the little path to the shed, so you cant get in properly to sort the lawn or use the washing line!

The one good thing about this cold weather is that it has killed off a lot of the weeds and buddleia that were trying to grow in the path, and the snails and spiders have gone on holiday (ugh there were soooo many in the summer it was like a jungle). :eek:

We borrowed a huge saw from my dad, but at this rate I'm going to need to ask to borrow his chainsaw! :lol:

Back