• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would youd do?

Dobbin

Mama Doe
We had the first vets trip today with both buns. It went well, they both were calm together in the carrier and got a clean bill of health. The vet said i was a very good bunny mommy and they were looked after beautifully- i was so pleased. :oops: :D :oops: :D

anyway they are both at ideal weight, but i looked today at what measurement of pellets they should be on - do you remember i asked about how much i wa feeding them?- anyway a friend went to pets at home today wich is where i got the huge bag of pellets from when i got Dobbin. According to the packet they should get 50g each a day of pellets but they are currebtly getting 10 at the most but they have fresh veg twice a day and hay unlimited all day - what should i do - i certainly dont want them putting on weight - do i stay with what i was doing or what should i do?!

Also i am so worried about them it is freezing ut there - they have heat pads and a hutch packed full of hay as well as vet beds and blankets - they will be ok wont they?!

Sue
xx

If they are outside then it is common for the amount of pellets to be upped during winter, however if they have plenty of hay, and their veggies too, then I wouldn't worry about the amount that you are feeding them. Pellets are not essential anyway, merely a top up of vitamins. :D

I think go with what the bunnies tell you, if they feel a bit thin up it a bit. But I do agree with the comment about upping it in winter, I tend to. As for if they are warm enough, went out at 11pm with dogs last night, thermometer said it was -1 and there are all the buns sat outside star gazing!! :lol: They have thicker coats than we think!! x Jess ps, i do shut them in sometimes, but it seems so mean when they choose to be outside, they have plenty of hay and heat pads to warm up with, and each other, a plie of 5 buns is a lovely sight! x

I dont measure my bunnys food out I just top his food bowl up a few times a day and even though he has access to his food bowl all day he isnt greedy and just has a nibble a few times a day, he also has hay, dried grass and veg x x x :D

I have uped it a bit since the summer so i think i may put it up a tiny bit more but leave it then! Thank you so much for all your advice. They do love their hay!!

Sue
xx

It all depends on the bun, you will soon tell if they need more. Travos could munch pellets all day, but if Treacle has a few too many she gets an icky bottom :roll: :oops: :shock: So I have to be strict with them both for that reason! :D

I thin you are doing fine! I think the manufacturers recommendations are sometimes a little extravagant - they do want you to buy plenty of their product after all!
If your rabbits are doing fine then great :D - if it ain't broke don't fix it :wink:

Back