• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits identify with their own breed?

Just a thought to ponder on, all six of my buns have come in separately, but I now have 2 dutches (one blue one tan) and they really seem to have bonded to each other, almost inseparable!!!! And considering one is the boss and is the hardest to bond with any bum I am quite surprised. SO has my first dutch recognised the same breed in the second? or is it just coincidence???
x Jess

id say its probably coincidence,

my 2 have probably never seen themselves in a mirror so i dont think they know what they look like

I'd have said no myself. Rabbits probably don't even recognise other rabbits, they just recognise and relate to the behaviour and body language of the other animal which is why some rabbits get on so well with cats and dogs too. From spending hours on the floor grooming Travis, I was accepted and groomed back, regardless of how sweet it is to think that rabbits understand the concept of bunny kisses, realistically it's just them grooming you as is their natural behaviour.

I've babbled a little!? :oops: But my theory is that rabbits recognise behaviour rather than the animal itself. If you showed a rabbit a picture of another rabbit they would probably be more inclined to chew it rather than associate it with being a rabbit!!! :lol:

Jayney said:
id say its probably coincidence,

my 2 have probably never seen themselves in a mirror so i dont think they know what they look like

Mine have, and nothing registered whatsoever, unlike cats who get freaked out!! There was no recognition at all, which is why I believe they don't recognise other rabbits as "themselves". Travis did have an episode of chasing his shadow once though which was quite sweet!! :lol: :roll:

I'm sure Max recognises himself in the mirror!!!! :roll: :roll: :lol:

Quick groom
CIMG3719.jpg

Hummmmm...... Not bad at all ......
CIMG3715.jpg

duchess looks at herself in the mirror at every oppurtunity once she has finished looking at herself she binkies round the room then goes back for another look :roll: :lol:

Faline does too, maybe they're vain, lol.

I was wondering the other day if rabbits think it's strage when one has lop ears and the other has sticky up ears. When My two groom each other I'm sure Faline tries to put Molly's ears up.

I think they do, my Smokey wouldn't bond with anyone other than his identical sister :?

Back