• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i may be reading this wrong...

That's what is says, but I thought there was no need for rabbits to be starved before a surgery because they can't vommit :?

And it is VHD, not HVD! :?

Confused!!!

Yes it does say that doesn't it :shock: :? Maybe someone needs to have a word in their ear!

Also I know years ago many vets called VHD, HVD, I remember when it switched from HVD to VHD where I worked, confused alot of people! the original leaflets on it said HVD...I don't know why or how it happened :lol:

That information is so wrong, unfortunatley it is the RSPCA yet again of giving out incorrect information!!

If you follow their instructions it increases the risk to very high for a bunny to suffer gut statis, bunny cannot vomit

It sounds like that's general advice for all animals being neutered. They perhaps need to add a note that bunnies are different. I'll drop them an email and mention it :)

Tamsin said:
It sounds like that's general advice for all animals being neutered. They perhaps need to add a note that bunnies are different. I'll drop them an email and mention it :)

I already did:

"Hello there,

Firstly I would like to say what a fantastic job the RSPCA do in helping lower-income pet owners get their animals the treatment they need.

I am emailing about a piece of advice given on your website, which may be misconstrued. The website says that "All animals coming into the clinic for neutering need to be at the clinic for 9am. They must not eat after 6pm the night before and water taken up by midnight." Obviously this advice is meant for cats and dogs , but for rabbits, this could be lethal! As no doubt you already know, they need to eat and drink right up to the time of the op as they are prone to GI stasis.

Perhaps you could change the wording to read something like "All animals coming into the clinic for neutering need to be at the clinic for 9am. Cats and dogs must not eat after 6pm the night before and water taken up by midnight. Rabbits should NOT be starved at all, and should eat and drink as normal before the operation."

I'm sure the advice on your website was not intended to direct people to starve their pet rabbits before an operation, as it does not specifically say this. I was just concerned that some pet owners could become confused due to the wording being ambiguous.

Once again may I commend all RSPCA staff for the exemplary work they do.

Many thanks, and kind regards,

Liz Burden
House Rabbit owner."

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
Tamsin said:

I already did:

"Hello there,

Firstly I would like to say what a fantastic job the RSPCA do in helping lower-income pet owners get their animals the treatment they need.

I am emailing about a piece of advice given on your website, which may be misconstrued. The website says that "All animals coming into the clinic for neutering need to be at the clinic for 9am. They must not eat after 6pm the night before and water taken up by midnight." Obviously this advice is meant for cats and dogs , but for rabbits, this could be lethal! As no doubt you already know, they need to eat and drink right up to the time of the op as they are prone to GI stasis.

Perhaps you could change the wording to read something like "All animals coming into the clinic for neutering need to be at the clinic for 9am. Cats and dogs must not eat after 6pm the night before and water taken up by midnight. Rabbits should NOT be starved at all, and should eat and drink as normal before the operation."

I'm sure the advice on your website was not intended to direct people to starve their pet rabbits before an operation, as it does not specifically say this. I was just concerned that some pet owners could become confused due to the wording being ambiguous.

Once again may I commend all RSPCA staff for the exemplary work they do.

Many thanks, and kind regards,

Liz Burden
House Rabbit owner."

AMETHYST

:thumb:
great email
i was just a bit worried about it :? hope no-one thnks i was having a go :oops:

An excellent email! You've worded it really well so you get the point across but aren't critizing :)

Tam

Amsy1991 said:
Off topic :oops:

Whats a Log Number?? :oops: :roll:

Amy
xxxx

A log number is what the RSPCA give all animals they deal with. I get given one every time they bring an animal to me so when it gets neutered they know which one it is :wink:

Amethyst - I think you worded that email perfectly. I would imagine the wording on the website is a genuine mistake but something they need to be aware of.

Doesn't matter whether its VHD or HVD its horrible. I lost 2 bunnies to it about 10 years ago when it wasn't very well known. First one just died, then the second one had a bloody nose so took her to vets they autopsied, DEFRA slapped a restriction order on me, couldn't move any animals onto or off my property for about 3 months. Was horrid and scary. At the time I lived literally in a field with lots of wild buns, there was a distinct lack that year. I was very lucky that a doe i bought to replace the first one didn't catch it from the second. At the time it was so rare it was a notifiable disease. Horrid horrid horrid. Sorry a bit off topic I know but it is always there with me. Sorry. Jess

Amsy1991 said:
Off topic :oops:

Whats a Log Number?? :oops: :roll:

Amy
xxxx
Just a reference number for the other Vets that are used by the RSPCA in Chatham for some operations and out of hours service. You ring the RSPCA and if you are required to go to the Chatham Vet you are given a special Log number that corresponds only to your pet so that it can be traced back by the RSPCA.

Back