• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bun is not well...

penfold

Young Bun
OK, Update on whats been happening...
I have been trying to bond my buns for nearly a year without success, last week my rabbit shed blew over in the wind and since then they have bonded beautifully BUT..

Dippy my girl lop has been gradually losing weight over the past few weeks and now hasnt stopped crying for about 3 days :cry:

The vet has said her teeth need burring but not so badly that that would explain her discomfort, and there are no obvious masses in her tummy but on thursday she is due to go in and have teeth done and be spayed. She is 6 (ish) and i know nothing of her history as i found her last year being attacked by a dog.

Obviously there is a risk with the GA, and with her age but the vet is concerned about either cancer or more possibly an infection due to her many many many phantom pregnancies each month..

Please please wish her well as my heart will break if the worst happens.. :cry:

Also many many thanks to freakles as the advice and time she has spent has been so very good, and i even rang my vets as suggested by her and Rocky will be going with Dippy when she goes in so at least she will have some comfort in him :)

Fingers crossed for you. Furby's being done on Thursday as well, so I'll remember to send some vibes your way then.

I really hope she's ok and it's just her teeth causing her problems rather than anything else.

Good luck

Kathryn x

Dippy was readmitted this morning.

Gut Stasis, she wouldnt eat or drink at all when i got her home so this morning i took her back and she will be put on antibiotics and painkillers and if she is no better tomorrow they will start critical care.

I feel so awful :cry:

Dont feel awful you did what was best in her interests..entire does be they old or not are the stroppiest creatures on earht and make bonding nye on impossible!!
i hate the vets when they say that..oh its hardly anything..not realy doing to their teeth..grrrrrr

they said that bout bif the first time then when she was under they discovered her tongue undernetah was badly ulcerated and infected!
this time they said the same..funny tho once shed recovered she was soo hungry!!

gi stasis is a common occurrence now with poor ole bif..she reacts verybadly to the ga after her xray i was sure i was going to lose her.

critical cares great had it years ago with kibbles..but then you have to move asap to recovery for the fibre..and theres always baby food as an emergency and to mix with green slop! rehyrdation is essental too..some latcade from the vets or kids dioralyte is best. I also syringe in an isotonic slution of proexin bio lapis and not just for the 5 days but until bunny is really perked up.
also try avi pro powder once shes eating her slop too and on bun food after shes back on her feet. it helps with sticky butt if theres no more pain or no more stress..not bifs strong point

i aam keeping fingers crossed for you 100% sending bunny vibes..xx

Ignore them! I have had people laugh at me for spending £300 getting a broken leg fixed, just to be told "you could buy 20 more rabbits for that". :evil:

Its horrible, shes my litle lady and i would pay whatever it cost to make her better, I have no idea what her chances are or how long they will continue with the critical care and i have to wait until monday, i really hate leaving her.. and Rocky is missing her terribly! :(

well my girl is back home! :D shes still not 100%, squidgy poos but she is eating well, She goes back on wednesday for her spay check up so fingers crossed by then she will much much better!
Rocky is happy now too, he is eating again :? daft bunny!

On the whole she is doing really well, still has to put weight on but we can sort that out! :D vet said she had been through a tough time, so they are both in the house for the time being until i feel she is 100% again! they know how to worry you dont they?? :wink:

Back