• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blue Peter rabbit advice - mostly good!

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
As part of National Rabbit Week, Blue Peter put up some advice on rabbit care on their website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/content/articles/2007/01/23/bunny_questions.shtml

It's mostly good, but I didn't like how they say "most rabbits love to be handled" and "rabbits love to live with other animals" (rather than with other RABBITS!). They didn't mention anything about housing though, or neutering. :?

I did like the bit about diet, even though they didn't say that hay should always be available (I guess I'm being picky - it's a children's website!). I also liked the bit about how to tell if the rabbit is ill (I think it's a perfect description).

What do you think?

AMETHYST

goes to have a nosey!

i watched the programme on tv today they didnt say much just it was national bunny week like they had been saying all on kids tv bbc1 this afternoon but no advice on care etc and what national rabbit week was all about it was very poor

lisa

I think that seems quite good as a quick guide. They do stress the importance of hay. I suppose there's only so much you can fit in a quick guide :D

Its seems fine I'm very puzzled though (not unusual though for me :lol: ) My friend at school says she feeds her rabbit(s) lettuce and they are fine.I tried to reason with her but didn't really know the full facts! Why can't rabbits eat lettuce ??

Kirsty

P.S Sure my dad could of told me but I was on here anyway :D

I think rabbits aren't meant to eat lettuce because it has such a high water content and they can't digest it properly. Not sure though, but think I read that somewhere! Am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... :oops: x Jess

buttons&thumper said:
I think rabbits aren't meant to eat lettuce because it has such a high water content and they can't digest it properly. Not sure though, but think I read that somewhere! Am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... :oops: x Jess

That's absolutely correct. :) They can eat certain varieties of dark-leafed lettuce but even then they're still relatively high in water and should only be given in small amounts. Too much lettuce causes diahorrea (sp?) and can be very serious.

AMETHYST

diarrhoea - Diarrhoea Is Always Really Really Horrid Or Else Angry!!!!! an easy way to remember how to spell it, got fed up with looking it up!!!

buttons&thumper said:
diarrhoea - Diarrhoea Is Always Really Really Horrid Or Else Angry!!!!! an easy way to remember how to spell it, got fed up with looking it up!!!

Aw thanks for that! I love using acronyms for learning how to spell words. I'm normally good at spelling but there are always a few words that elude me! :D

AMETHYST

buttons&thumper said:
me too, hence making that one up!!!!

:D I still remember the reactivity series from GCSE Chemistry because of an acronym!

Play (Potassium)
Some (Sodium)
Cool (Calcium)
Music (Magnesium)
After (Aluminium)
Zoe (Zinc)
Itches (Iron)
Teachers (Tin)
Love (Lead)
Her (Hydrogen)
Cos (Copper)
She's (Silver)
Good (Gold)

:lol:

AMETHYST

I watched it there again I allways do as I have a thing for zoe. I think there could of had time talking about bunny care.

I feed Dillon romaine lettuce- just one leaf a night and he absolutely loves it and so far no sign of runny pooh :D

Also lettuce like iceberg contains higher levels of a laudenum related compound which can induce drowsiness.

Caz

lil_sar said:
I feed Dillon romaine lettuce- just one leaf a night and he absolutely loves it and so far no sign of runny pooh :D

Yeah Romaine is a dark-leafed variety so a small amount of that shouldn't cause a problem at all. :)

AMETHYST

Where it says 'most rabbits love to be handled' They're covering themselves by saying most, and they don't say picked up, so I think saying that's a good thing. As it will encourage kids to spend time with their rabbits and stroking them etc, rather than just ignoring them. :)

Just came top check as it had that green shaking thing :lol: thanks for that I now can now have a proper discussion with my friend with all the facts :lol:

Kirsty xx

Back