• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheapest Rabbit Insurance?

hunnybun

Mama Doe
do you have your rabbit insured and if so who with?

I have had a call here at the rescue from someone asking who was the cheapest insurer! so any ideas folks?

I'm not sure about the cheapest but you'd need to go for one that pays every year rather than per condition - if your rabbit develops an ongoing condition like diabetes or something then with companies that insure per condition the money will soon run out. If it "resets" per year then the money won't run out.

I used to have insurance with PetPlan but I stopped it because the excess is £60, and even when I claimed they didn't refund me everything (they said recovery food wasn't covered - she NEEDED it!! :roll:). Plus it doesn't cover dental work, doesn't cover vaccinations or neutering, and doesn't cover any conditions resulting from not vaccinating or neutering them e.g. Myxi or uterine cancer. I found it much better to just set up a savings account and Direct Debit £50 per month into it!

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
I'm not sure about the cheapest but you'd need to go for one that pays every year rather than per condition - if your rabbit develops an ongoing condition like diabetes or something then with companies that insure per condition the money will soon run out. If it "resets" per year then the money won't run out.

I used to have insurance with PetPlan but I stopped it because the excess is £60, and even when I claimed they didn't refund me everything (they said recovery food wasn't covered - she NEEDED it!! :roll:). Plus it doesn't cover dental work, doesn't cover vaccinations or neutering, and doesn't cover any conditions resulting from not vaccinating or neutering them e.g. Myxi or uterine cancer. I found it much better to just set up a savings account and Direct Debit £50 per month into it!

AMETHYST

Thanks, I just use a saving account too :wink:

hunnybun said:
Thanks, I just use a saving account too :wink:

Oh I see - I just re-read your post and realised the advice was for someone else! :oops: That'll teach me to skim-read! :lol:

I think the only one for rabbits is PetPlan, but I might be wrong. In fact I'd like to know myself if there are any alternatives to PetPlan! I shall be watching this thread with interest. :)

AMETHYST

Ive been considering getting Audrey insured as I have insurance for my cat Worm which only costs £5.80 a month. When my mums cat was run over it cost £400 for her to have her leg amputated, which I certainly dont have spare so its nice to have the reassurance of knowing that if Worm were to fall ill, the money would not be a problem.

If you have more than two rabbits however, Im not sure its worth and i can see why people just put money aside.

I searched for ages and could only find pet plan.
I wasn't going to insure them becasue of the excess but was just going to use a savings account. After about 6 months of having them I've only got about £10 in there...I'm rubbish at saving! So after my friend recently had a £400 bill I decided to just bloomin do it. I do hate insurance but in my case I think its the best option.

Incidently mine is about £77 per rabbit per year. You can pay £8.50 a month for 10months.

Why is it more for rabbits than cats???
I must admit I didn't realise so much wasn't covered by them...this is why I hate insurance!

I too had pet insurance with PetPlan but when I went from 1 to 2 to 5 I decided against it!

I can see the point in having insurance for cats and dogs, but not really bunnies especially if they don't cover all the things that Liz mentioned!

Although I am sure that Phill has found PetPlan useful and made a claim? I could be totally wrong but I am sure someone on here had a big claim that pet plan paid for

IsabelM said:
Incidently mine is about £77 per rabbit per year. You can pay £8.50 a month for 10months.

So, how about you get the £8.50 per rabbit per month Direct Debited to a savings account? :) You'll have saved up a pot of money in no time. You could put a bit more in too if you can afford it. If it's Direct Debit, you won't even think about it leaving your account - I'm an appalling saver as well and if I didn't DD things I'd never save up anything! :lol:

AMETHYST

IsabelM said:
I searched for ages and could only find pet plan.
I wasn't going to insure them becasue of the excess but was just going to use a savings account. After about 6 months of having them I've only got about £10 in there...I'm rubbish at saving! So after my friend recently had a £400 bill I decided to just bloomin do it. I do hate insurance but in my case I think its the best option.

Why is it more for rabbits than cats???
I must admit I didn't realise so much wasn't covered by them...this is why I hate insurance!

Maybe its because more things can go wrong with rabbits and more easily...ie) stasis etc :?

Worm has only been ill a couple of times in the 2.5 years we have had her..wow didnt realise it was so long actually! the rabbits Ive had have had one illness after the other :?

Amethyst said:
IsabelM said:

So, how about you get the £8.50 per rabbit per month Direct Debited to a savings account? :) You'll have saved up a pot of money in no time. You could put a bit more in too if you can afford it. If it's Direct Debit, you won't even think about it leaving your account - I'm an appalling saver as well and if I didn't DD things I'd never save up anything! :lol:

AMETHYST

Tried that. the trouble is I can access my acount on line so when I'm a bit low I do a bit of shuffling round (naughty bunny mummy). But they talk to me and tell me "Isabel your hair really needs cutting, why not use some of tha lovely money you've saved for us". It's their fault I tell you!

Set up an account where you have to give the bank a few days warning or something? Although that may not be practical in a bunny emergency.

I have a halifax websaver account... I have no idea how you get the money out :lol: :lol: :lol:

I once saw an ad for an insurance company which said if you insure one rabbit, you get another insured for free. I've been trying to find this company since seeing the ad but I've forgotten the name of it doh!

Also, I have an elderly cat whose insurance costs me £20 a month, which is bloody loads but I don't want to stop it because it seems a bit too much like tempting fate :(

IsabelM said:
Tried that. the trouble is I can access my acount on line so when I'm a bit low I do a bit of shuffling round (naughty bunny mummy). But they talk to me and tell me "Isabel your hair really needs cutting, why not use some of tha lovely money you've saved for us". It's their fault I tell you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just too lazy to do all the shuffling around, so I make savings in other ways, like living just on Weetabix! :lol: :lol:

AMETHYST

I have the cats and dog insured with direct line (who I think are fab)
but they don't do rabbits.
Like others have said, it seems better to put your money into a savings account because of the amount of excluded conditions and amount you pay when you have more than one bun!
I also have an empty credit card for 'big' emergencies.

I have my bun insured with Petplan. It costs me £7 per month and the excess is £40.
The good thing about my plan is that is a cover for life policy which means if dillon gets a long term illness they will continue to cover for him.

It does say that they will cover for teeth as long as he has annual dental check ups, which is fair enough.

I think it's worth it- even though you could save £7-8 p/m- if something pretty major happened there wouldn't be enough in the 'pot' to cover it. At least I know I have to pay the first £40 and then the rest is covered by insurance. Unless you are a super-duper saver and have been for years :D

lil_sar said:
At least I know I have to pay the first £40 and then the rest is covered by insurance.

Yes, unless it's dental or recovery food, neither of which they cover. :evil: I claimed on Miffy's insurance last summer, and out of £250 they only paid £150 of it, not including the £60 excess on top of it. My premium for them was £9 per month per rabbit, and with 6 rabbits I figured I could just put the equivalent into a savings account - £54 a month soon adds up! :D

I think if you just have one or two rabbits it's worth it, but any more you'd be better off saving up.

AMETHYST

The thing with rabbit insurance though is that the excess is so high! I've had a bun go in for GI, he stayed the night and everything but it only came to £54 - I say only! :roll: - but with a £50 excess who's going to claim the £4 - also with dentals they tend to stay under the excess, so I'm with the savings plan - and I really must start one up ......... :roll: And they don't do bulk bunny dicounts either which is a bummer - I did think of insuring Lenny - who'd know whether the emergency was Lenny, Mac, Starr or Harry? Oh Yes - me - then I'd feel guilty and probably get arrested for falsely claiming!! :oops: :oops: :roll:

Back