• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Osteoporosis in rabbits - really common?

I think it is when they are kept in a small hutch all the time and so don't get enough exercise - as are other skeletal and muscle problems. I'm no expert but my vet has said similar.

AMETHYST

I believe so...

Often manifests itself in teeth/jaw problems, but an improved diet and more exercise can halt it.

One of mine was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago, but I can honestly say she is no worse now than she was 2 years ago (She is about 5-ish now).

I wonder if it is more common in spayed females?

Amy

This other piece of wisdom too:
Myxomatosis is still common in wild rabbits and can be transmitted on foliage to domestic pets.

Only if mosquitoes/fleas happen to be sitting on foliage and don't fly off or you pick up foliage covered in dead rabbit blood and quickly force your rabbit to eat it before the virus dies. I didn't think it was transmissible through contamination by faeces.

Also as Burgess are sponsering the only food and hay recommended is by Burgess :? :

30% of rabbits in the UK are obese, probably due to their relative sedentary life as domestic pets, compared to their life in the wild. If you believe your rabbit is overweight speak to your vet or call the National Rabbit Week helpline on 0800 413 969 and they will be able to recommend a lower calorie food, which will still provide your pet with all the correct nutrients. Supa Rabbit Excel Lite is ideal for overweight rabbits as it has a higher fibre content, to make sure your rabbit feels full whilst consuming fewer calories.

Although I use Excel and am happy with it the cynic in me says anyone who rings the helpline will only get info on Burgess based products for helping with weight loss when SS or A&P may be a better option.

BTW I am all for National Rabbit Week and raising the profile of pet rabbits throughout the UK but just curious about a few of the things mentioned on the website.

Caz

abbymarysmokey said:
I believe so...

Often manifests itself in teeth/jaw problems, but an improved diet and more exercise can halt it.
Amy

When I was researching about Zeus' molar root issues a lack of natural sunlight leading to a lack of vit D and therefore calcium absorbtion was indicated as a possible cause (he was mainly a house rabbit).

It was just never named as an osteoporisis-like issue - didn't think of it like that before.

Caz

Yep, it's the lack of exercise/movement. If you look up weight bearing exercise and osteoporisis in humans, info here: http://www.nof.org/prevention/exercise.htm

The same applies for rabits. If a rabbits movement is restricted then they can't get enough exercise.

I'm not sure if this would effect teeth but a poor diet would. A poor diet could also effect bone development.

I think all the pellet brands (not sure about mix) have vit D added so lack of sun light shouldn't be an issue. If the diet doesn't have it and sunlight is restricted then that could effect bone density/development too.

Tam

I thought the good pelleted foods contained artificial Vit D, so sunlight shouldn't be a factor? Hopwever, I guess artificial Vit D can't be as good as natural Vit D? Perhap it degrades quickly? I dunno!

Oops posted at same time as Tam's reply above

Osteoporosis is also related to hormones produced by the body, which is why menopausal women are at risk.

Common sense says that spayed does will be at a higher risk also.

Tamsin said:
Yep, it's the lack of exercise/movement. If you look up weight bearing exercise and osteoporisis in humans, info here: http://www.nof.org/prevention/exercise.htm

The same applies for rabits. If a rabbits movement is restricted then they can't get enough exercise.

I'm not sure if this would effect teeth but a poor diet would. A poor diet could also effect bone development.

I think all the pellet brands (not sure about mix) have vit D added so lack of sun light shouldn't be an issue. If the diet doesn't have it and sunlight is restricted then that could effect bone density/development too.

Tam

Fair point as Zeus was on Excel and was out in a run at weekends and evenings etc I just was interested to read that when I was doing my research. Apparently less calcium leads to a weakening of the jaw bone structure allowing the molar roots to grow though into the tear ducts etc as they are no longer restricted - of course doh - less dense bones = osteoporosis. It is just you only seem to hear about it in spines/limb bones of humans.

I did a search on RU and only found one or two mentions about rabbits with possible osteoporisis (in contrast I daren't even search on stasis :wink: ) so figured it wasn't as common as they made out.

Caz

P.S. I would have thought there was a fair chance spayed rabbits may be slightly more at risk but a spayed rabbit suggests a caring owner so therefore one who would be more likely to ensure the rabbit got the correct diet and exercise required to negate the chances of a calcium deficiency.

Back