• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Domino is at the vets for her spay! U/D WE HAVE POOPS!!!!

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

This morning I took the very hormonal Domino to the vets for her spay. They are SO good there! The vet, although he knows how rabbit-mad I am, still went through all the details of the op, post-op care, what they administer re. pain relief and gut stimulants etc. He also said that if (and ONLY if) I was okay with syringe-feeding when necessary then she could come home before she has started to eat or poop so she'd be in a familiar place - they understand that a rabbit responds well to familiar surroundings! :thumb:

She went in at 9:10am and by 11:30am they called me to say that the op was a success and she was just coming round from the anaesthetic. They called me back two hours later to say that she still hadn't eaten or pooped but they'd like to keep her in until about 6:00pm just to see how she goes, but they'd be happy if by then she hasn't eaten or pooped to send her home with some recovery food (free of charge!) and let my TLC take over. :)

AMETHYST

U/D 16:00 The vet says she's "looking bright", and although she hasn't pooped yet she has nibbled on a few bits of hay! :D They hope she can come home later and they've asked me to call back at about 5:30pm-6:00pm to get a further update. :D

AMETHYST

aww good. bless her. hopefully you will be able to bring her home tonight. let us know - pooping vibes being sent lol :lol:

And more pooing vibes from me! Furby is going in on Thursday for her spay and I'll be on here pleading for eating and pooing vibes the minute I leave her!!!!

One of my girls was just normal after her spay, however the other one was a little bit drowsy and still wasn't looking 100% this morning.

They haven't eaten that much either but are pooping, eating bits and drinking. They will get lots of special Mummy loves tonight :love:

Glad to hear Domino is feeling better.

U/D 19:40 She's home! She's not drowsy at all, but she hasn't eaten anything yet, despite my having left out a whole array of tasty treats - parsley, Excel dandelion nature sticks, a bowlful of pellets, dried apricot, dried papaya, a stick of celery, a little piece of Weetabix and of course lots of hay!

Here's a picture of the little sweetheart when she finally settled down in her litter tray for a snooze having previously spent a good ten minutes investigating everything! :D

P10100172.jpg

The only thing is, when I paid for the spay it came to £98!!! :shock: I can't believe that's their standard price for a spay - surely there must be something else I paid for but I'm not sure what it could be! I didn't want to contest it before Domino came home (besides there were no vets there when we picked her up at about 6:30pm so we wouldn't have been able to contest anything anyway), but I'll talk to the vets tomorrow. I might send them a letter.

Anyway, I'm just glad she seems fine in herself! I'll let you know as soon as she eats and poops! :lol:

AMETHYST

Domino hasn't moved from the litter tray and she keeps shifting about and circling like she's uncomfortable. When she sits down she's not sitting down fully, she's nibbling hay but just seems to be chopping it up with her teeth rather than eating any of it. She hasn't touched anything else or even shown any interest. Still no poops either.

What should I do?

AMETHYST

awwwww bless her! glad to see she is home and looks well!
how muchhhhhhhhhhhh :shock: id ring them up 2moz and ask them if anything extra was added. when i was researching prices b4 i got a rabbit i rang vets in my town and asked how much to spay and neuter so i knew how much roughly what getting a rabbit involved cost and one did say 80 for a spay. id just give them a ring and enquire 2moz
hope domino recovers soon :D

Aww, The Poor little Honey :( I'm sure she'll be slightly uncomfortable after such a big op, but if your really worried, might be worth contacting the emergency vets, even just for advice? :) Wishing her the biggest Get Well Vibes ever! :) X

The emergency vets said that whenever I wanted to call in the night, whatever time, I could. They really are fab! :thumb:

I just gave Domino 4 syringe-fulls of Science Recovery feed mixed with boiled cooled water. The syringe is a 1ml one. Is this enough? If I do that every 2-3 hours through the night until she poops, is that a good course of action? The vets said I should syringe feed every 2-3 hours but silly me forgot to ask how much each time! :roll:

She still seems uncomfortable but she put up a heck of a fight when I tried to syringe-feed her! Now she's back in her usual place in the litter tray, which she seems to prefer to the towel! :? She felt a bit cold, but the temperature in here is about 25 degrees so it should be warm enough for her. We don't have a Snugglesafe heat pad but how about a hot water bottle with a child-safe cover? Would that help? I'm going to be up all night with her anyway so she will be constantly supervised.

Any and all advice gratefully received!

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
We don't have a Snugglesafe heat pad but how about a hot water bottle with a child-safe cover? Would that help?

Yes! :) At least she has the choice then :thumb: .. I'm so sorry but I cant help with the other questions :cry: I have no idea :( X

beckiboo186 said:
Amethyst said:
We don't have a Snugglesafe heat pad but how about a hot water bottle with a child-safe cover? Would that help?

Yes! :) At least she has the choice then :thumb: .. I'm so sorry but I cant help with the other questions :cry: I have no idea :( X

Great, thanks for that! Just sent Harry out to the 24 hour Tesco with a home department to get one! :D He's great like that!

AMETHYST

WE HAVE POOPS AND WE HAVE EATING!!!!!!!

Also, here's another pic of Domino looking quite a bit more comfy! :D

P1010002-1.jpg

YAY MY BABY'S OKAY!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AMETHYST

Back