• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudeen severe growth of front teeth

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys,

Im wondering wether anyone can shed any light on this. Oakley's front teeth have suddenly overgrown! Her teeth have always been fine since she arrived here over a year ago. She is having to have her front teeth out on Wednesday morning which is a worry for several reasons, 1) she is 7 years old 2) she has a mild wheezing from her chest late at night which baytril doesn't clear.

Hazel now suspect a possible calcuim problem, ie to much as the cause of the teeth and her chest. She is going to do some investigating into it, but wondered if anyone had any experience of a calcuim problem causing chest problems??

So on wednesday oaks is having a few things done, her teeth out, her eyes flushed as they have become a little gunged up, and her chin and bottom shaved ( she has mats which she will not allow me to get out) Im very worried about all this because of Oakleys age and health so she will need lots of vibes tommorow xx

no expert here Phill but if she was having too much calcium wouldn't the first signs be bladder sludge :? :? :?

can she not have them filed down under a quick whiff of gas so it is not too risky due to age and health. this is the first time this has happened with her teeth so not sure if the best solution is to remove them when maybe burring them might be a better option to start with, then obviously, if they appear to be growing a vast rate then maybe there is no option but to remove them :?

Yeh Denny i would have though Bladder sludge as well, her urine is a little thicker than normal but nothing major and not enough to cause concern about a calcuim problem.

Oaks has to have the GA to have her tear ducts flushed as well, so she will have to have it anyway. I may speak to Hazel again tommorow moring and see if she could flush her tear ducts just with gas and just burr the teeth down rather than removal.

If she is having a tear duct flush then I take it you have watery eye syndrome :wink: :lol: :lol: does she have tooth root problems or is the tear duct flush for other reasons :?:

Just going on my experience here but Marcelly was sneezing white snot through 1 nostril, he had a tear duct flush but all was clear, no problems with the flush, I thought it was pasturella but the tests came back negative for that but positive for citrobacter fruendii :shock: after much research I found that these symptons and result showing citrobacter fruendii were a knock on effect from when he had had rear paralysis a month before and was to do with having a low immune system, he spent 3 weeks on septrin as baytril wouldn't of even touched this bacteria :)

Was also told by some experts that problems with one nostril can also be a sign of a tooth root pressing or peircing the tear duct :( Might be worth having an X ray as I know this will be my next port of call should Marcel start sneezing white snot again :(

Very interesting Denny, i do wonder weather the sudden gunk in her eyes is anything to do with her teeth, as she doesn't usually have gungy eyes they get a little watery on occasion but not gungy, i've had had two rabbits with eye problems and it has turned out to be there teeth. she does on occasion get a snotty nose, not white snot just clear, and then there is this wheezing in her chest as well, Baytril doesn't clear it.

citrobacter fruendii <-------- this Denny sounds very interesting, would you have any other info on it?? How to test for it ect??

I took a blob of snot down to the vets in a clean syringe so they could do a culture test on it as I was adament that it was pasturella :lol: :lol: :lol: My vet didn't think so because of it only coming out of one nostril and not displaying any other signs of pasturella although she was suprised so see the snot I had collected :lol: :lol: had to wait two weeks for it though as previously he had sneezed it all over me :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

will go get the info I have on it Phill, just need to go put land pc on as it is on there but will pm you it as it is on another site :wink:

give me half an hour as I have the telewest guy here at the minute :wink: :roll:

Maybe Hazel was thinking of Hypercalcaemia causing a 'furring up' of the arteries thus effecting Oakley's heart/respiration? :?

Hope all goes well for her Phill

Janex

Thanks for that Jane that is a possibility.

Hazel is just going to burr Oakleys fron teeth this time under gas for me, i was so upset thismorning at the thought og her having a GA

Phill said:
Thanks for that Jane that is a possibility.

Hazel is just going to burr Oakleys fron teeth this time under gas for me, i was so upset thismorning at the thought og her having a GA

That seems a better option. If Oakley does have to have a GA eventually I wonder if Hazel might think it a good idea to put her on a week of Septrin first to zap any bacterial element to her respiratory problems. Obviously thats only an option if the GA is a pre-planned thing and not needed straight away.
Uncle Albert, Major Tom and Martha all had a week of abx before a planned GA/Surgical proceedure.

Please keep us posted as to how Oakley is doing

Janex

I will speak to Hazel about this tonight Jane and take her the information Denny has supplied for me, her wheezing is very stange and Baytril has no effect on it. It's only very late at night that you can hear it and there is no crackling at any other time of the day.

I forgot to take the inof down! :oops:

but oaks is fine her teeth have been burred and her eyes are now good! Im back to see hazel tonight so im going to take the info down with me!

Back