• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making pig cages out of storage cubes?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I've a pig cage made out of storage cubes but I would like to make a multi level one, can anyone help? :D

This is one I made

CAWLS9GB.jpg

I made the ramps by bending a grid over (you need to check for the 'join' in the metal and bend the opposite sides to this otherwise they snap). I then attached with cable ties and cover with vet bed, fixing that on with the clips you buy in stationery shops.

Thank you so much for the links both of you Kayjay, that's exactly like what I want to build.

Mine is like this at the minute, but I would like mine to up less floors space and build it up. Is it easy to clean and is it sturdy?

Picture006-2.jpg

On mine the first two levels are very sturdy. The top one is a bit wobbly but only houses one piggy in at the moment (I think you can make them sturdier by following guidelines using bits of wood on cavycages). I've actually bought two hutches and they're moving outside once the weather warms up as I find it too hard to clean out - however that's only due to the vet bed, as you don't use that it shouldn't be a problem. I made doors on each level that open for access and the pigs have no problems going up and down the ramps. They love their home so I feel guilty putting them outside in the shed but the vet bed washing is neverending with our own washing. I'm going to keep it as intact as I can and put it in the shed for overspill piggies.

I love your cage it's ace, yep I can see how washing vet beds would do your head in. I killed my new washer with washing vet beds before :lol:

We're planning on turning that room into a games room as I'm so sick of watching the xbox all the time and we want to put a couple of sofa's in there etc, so I want the pigs on a muliti story cage, something like yours would be ace, don't suppose you're coming to wolves any time soon so you can help me build one :eek: . How many boxes of cubes did you use?

I've just had a quick count and I think there's about 60 grids which was roughly 3 boxes and hundreds of cable ties. I bought them when Argos had them for £7 a box though so they didn't cost too much.

I will deffo get some more and make one similar to yours, mine will probably topple over though :lol:

Save your money Tree, you can have some of mine :wink: , I have quite a few cubes :wink: come over and pick which ones you want though as some have gone abit rusty on the corners as they are outside :oops: :roll: I should have plenty for what you need :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you might feel differently once you are in the house of hormonal teenagers :lol: :lol: you will race back welcoming the Xbox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll have to try and get over this weekend or next, hormonal teenagers can't be any worse than Bryn :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: do you wanna a HRT patch for him :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sooo coffee and a patch it is then :lol: :lol: :lol: do I need to get any special coffee or tea in as being as you are a vegan :oops: :oops: :oops:

Might be an idea :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG you know I never even thought of coffee, all this time I probably think I'm being good and I've been not being a vegan because if the coffee I drink :oops:

SOAD said:
I will deffo get some more and make one similar to yours, mine will probably topple over though :lol:

I've fixed mine to the wall at the top with metal strip thing I got from diy shop, bolted into wall

Back