• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Is there anyway to tell if a rabbit or guinea pig have worms?

I intend to buy some wormer for the guinea pigs as one of them I suspect may have a problem. I spoke to my vet a couple of weeks ago but her had never heard of a wormer for guinea pigs and only knew of the new panicur for rabbits.

I also have a rabbit that stops eating regularly for weeks and the vet can never find anything wrong (blood test, teeth work ect never really do anything). I was wondering if worms could be an issue?

Thanks

I dont know about piggies but all rabbits have worms and it usually poses no problem to them, however, if they have an excessive problem them treatment with panacur usually solves it. You will know if your rab has worms as they can be seen in the rabbit poo :wink: (very very tiny white threads) Loss of weight can also be a sign of worms as well as many other illness's, your vet should be able to tell if you take a few samples in if it is worms or a totally different problem :wink: :D

well I've already got this in my browser for the other worming thread - so maybe it will help :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9860&highlight=worms

I know pigs need worming more than rabbits - the breeder I rescued my lot from did it regularly, although I never have as mine don't go on grass at all (I'm guessing the risk is greater from grass - I've found cat poo and hedgehog poo on mine, so there it is)

I'm suprised your vet doesn't know about it though :?

Back