• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long do I need to wait before vaccinations?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Hi all :D

Jen and her man are coming home tonight :love: I want to leave them a while to get settled in, but then I'd like to take both to get Myxi / VHD vaccs. Jen was booked in for this previously but the vet decided to postpone it as she had an incident of gassy tummy / being off colour. Once she recovered from that though it was almost time for her spay, so she's still waiting!

Harley will need both his vaccs too.

How long should I give them to settle in before taking them to the vet together?

Also - could someone please clarify what I need to ask my vet re: adminstrating the jabs (half of the myxi jab (?) needs to go in the base of the ears? Is that right?).

I'm going to ring my vet and ask them about the jabs, but if my vet doesn't seem confident about it, I would like to take both buns to get it done with a vet who will - could anyone recommend someone in Sheffield with a bunny savvy vet who can do this?

TheGaffer said:
I go to Hallam Vets in Hillsborough, they're always pretty good.

Nicola

Excellent - they are my current vet! :lol: I took Jen there for her spay and they seemed pretty good, but I was worried that as a reasonably new bunny mum I'd have no idea if a vet was bunny savvy or not :oops: Is there a particular vet there you use?

Hi i would take them for the first jab straight away. Better to have them covered :D You then need to wait a fortnight to have the 2nd vacs.
10% of the mxyi should be into the skin, this an be done by a seperate injection into the base of the ear or into the skin on the bunnies back.
Or some vets pull the one needle out part way to inject the last of the vaccine.
Ask your vet how he/she does it before they inject your bun, if they do it properly they won't mind you asking! :D
And looking forward to piccies of your 2 bunnies!

Back