• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of this?

racheyrabbit

Alpha Buck
Hi guys!

Its been a while - I've been without internet access whilst living with my parents for a while - but now I've found a job I'm moving back up to London....

But.... previously my two were used to being pretty much free range with their Ferplast 100 simply as a base to eat, poo and hide in. Due to the set up of the flat they couldn't do much damage when out and about, and I worked from home so kept an eye on them most of the time. However, my new flat won't be quite so easy to give them so much free-range and I won't be working from home anymore. Also,since being at my parents I've found out they have a liking for wallpaper, when previously they had ignored the painted walls!

So... they need a bigger cage. My OH refuses point blank to get a dog crate :roll: :roll: But when searching on ebay the other day I found this, which he apparently approves of.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-cage-w...1QQihZ012QQcategoryZ63513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would solve my problem in the sense that the floorspace it takes up would be similar to what it does now - but they'd have so much extra space.... what do you guys think?

Oh my, Rachel, I was only thinking about you and Kahlo this afternoon....spooky :?

How are you and the buns??

It's hard to tell from that pic but I'd be concerned the height of each level wouldn't be enough.

Just an idea but could you use your existing cage with a run to make an enclosure? Otherwise I'd push for a dog crate - I don't think the cage in the picture is anymore or less 'attractive' than one, but my OH doesn't want one either.........Men :roll: :lol:

Personally I'm not a fan of 2 tier hutches as I think the ramp gets in the way and doesn't really give them any more quality space for running and hopping.

I'm with Jill, unless you get a hutch like Becki's Tilly....now you couldn't say theres not enough room in that :shock:

I quite like the hutches with a decent sized run underneath....I have a couple of the four foot ones and they suit us perfectly

Hi Rachel!
Well its as long as a 48" dog crate and each level has about 20" in height so I don't think its at all bad. And Khalo was quite a small bun from what I remember wasn't he? But why doesn't your other half like dog crates? They're not much bigger at all and they are much cheaper!

Ahhh.... we've been missed! My two are fine - they've taken a shine to my parent's wallpaper :? :roll: , but have loved charging up and down my parents' stairs. I think they're going to miss living in a house and going back to a flat!

I, meanwhile, have finally finished off my PhD and am starting a new job doing research/teaching in London.

With regards the darn cage issue...

I wish he would agree to any other option!

He HATES dog crates - I got as far as getting one home from the petshop once and I put it up and he refused to have it. I've tried the puppy pen idea too, but he isn't prepared to give up that much floor space :roll:

If I say they need more space then he says they should go out into the garden :( , which they'd hate because they're spoilt buns who like to warm their bums under the radiator :lol: :lol:

Men.....

I guess it's about the equivilent of a dog crate in size... I dunno that it's any prettier though :lol:

Have you thought about a converted cuboard instead? They can be better looking. A basic two shelf unit. You can then line the floor with lino and add mesh doors to the front.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I guess it's about the equivilent of a dog crate in size... I dunno that it's any prettier though :lol:

Have you thought about a converted cuboard instead? They can be better looking. A basic two shelf unit. You can then line the floor with lino and add mesh doors to the front.

Tam

Good idea Tam :D

my boyfriend also doesnt like the look of dog crates and play pens, so the crate has a blanket over the top the same colour as the room 8) - makes it quite cosy and the playpen bit is only used when we are out anyway...Audrey is out free range when we are in.

When not in use, the panels are just folded up and put down the side of the crate like this
crate.jpg

(its minus blanket as we didnt have it then)

The same seller on ebay does a cage that is 140 cm long, I was going to get one but got talked into getting a puppy crate by RU members!!! I got the 48 inch one, it is massive but so much more spacious than ana indoor cage- id keep nagging him!!! Goodluck x :D

Gem said:
I'm with Jill, unless you get a hutch like Becki's Tilly....now you couldn't say theres not enough room in that :shock:

Ho Hum :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Could you not get a dog crate and put up some kind of boards round 1 side (the other sides being against a wall or the front of the cage), paint it the same colour as the room, and just put them up when you have guests/oh is around? .. Just an idea, not sure how good it'd be :) X

Snowflakes mummy said:
I got a suggestion! - get rid of the man then you can have a dog crate :lol: ( just a joke btw!)

Or get the dog crate and put the OH in it until he agrees the buns can live in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the idea of sticking him in the dog crate..... although I can't be too harsh on him today as he's very ill.... more than just man flu apparently.....

Back