• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would I know if my rabbit has been spayed?

cara

Alpha Buck
How would I know if a rabbit had already been spayed?

I have taken her in for a routine health check with the vet nurse and although disussing spaying, I omitted to ask if they could tell me if she had already been spayed.

Would the nurse have seen the signs? Can I tell?

Also, for her overnight stay inside after the op - would a large pet carrier be suitable. O/H says no, it would be cruel.

Thanks,
Cara

Phoned my vets back (she is booked in for Friday) - they had said that they would have to operate to determine whether or not she had been spayed.

When I suggested a scan - she was a little bemused as this is not something they generally do for this reason. She thought a rabbits uterus would be too small?

Can you tell me more about the logistics of doing an ultra scan on a rabbit as it would be a far prefered method to an operation!

Thanks
Cara

cara said:
Phoned my vets back (she is booked in for Friday) - they had said that they would have to operate to determine whether or not she had been spayed.

When I suggested a scan - she was a little bemused as this is not something they generally do for this reason. She thought a rabbits uterus would be too small?

Can you tell me more about the logistics of doing an ultra scan on a rabbit as it would be a far prefered method to an operation!

Thanks
Cara

My bun was meant to have a scan to determine if her spay was incomplete. She was still extremely hormonal months after a spay & was havig regular phantoms etc. My vet recommended a scan, but if nothing showed they would have to still open her up. So i opted just for her being opened up. Her spay turned out to be incomplete & she had tiny tumours. So all that removed & now she's fine.

An ultrasound is very expensive and insurance may not cover it, most spays heal up without an obvious scar so unless the place you got her from can tell you an op is probably the only way (especially if the vets don't have their own ultra-sound - you would have to wait a while to get a scan).

Caz

cara said:

I took Domino in for her spay today, and the vet told me that a rabbit's uterus is far bigger than a cat's, which is why it's a slightly more complicated op! So if they routinely do scans on cats, then they should be able to do one on your rabbit?! :?

AMETHYST

Back