• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch help - Opinion on hutch to go inside bunny shed

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
I have been looking at hutches to go inside Tilly and Humphrey's bunny shed. This is partly because they currently have their crate in there, and the way it is set up means it is very cumbersome, the wrong shape and as a result means it is taking up a lot of space that they are not really using. It also makes it difficult for us to get in and out which is annoying.

What I would like is to have a hutch along the short end opposite the door. This way we can get in and out properly and H and T will have lots more room to run around in, AND they will be more insulated in the cold weather because the crate does not insulate them at all (they do have a cardboard box which they are very fond of but it's falling apart already).

The shed is 5' x 7' on the outside (slightly smaller inside), the door is in the short end and this faces the house. I have been looking at 4' double hutches to go at the sshort end opposite the door, I think they will really like having a nice place to sleep and it's quite good as it gives them a bit more space by being stacked on top.

I've had a look on eBay and this seems to be one of the best hutches I've seen, it is made of timber not ply wood (btw the lower doors would be open all the time so they can go in and out at will):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLID-TIMBER-...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now this one is only 20" deep but I don't think this matters as they will never be shut in, and it will leave them with about 25 sq ft of shed space to play in.

The other one I have looked at is on happyhutch.co.uk, it's an indoor hutch, however I have emailed them twice re putting a ramp in and they haven't got back to me - it is also a bit more expensive: http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=88&categoryID=8 This one I would get in the 2' x 4' x 3' high size, so it would be a bit deeper.

What should I do? Is there anything I need to ask the eBay seller like what it has been treated with etc, does it come made or flat-packed? Never actually bought a hutch before so really not sure! Any comments v welcome because I really can't decide. Thanks, ht

I don't think you need a two tier hutch in a shed, I've got a Parsley Den from Pets at Home, it's 4ft wide but deeper than the average hutch. I've not attached the bedroom door and it's just somewhere for them to go if they feel the need to hide.

To be honest though they're both using it as a giant litter tray, so I'm considering reusing it for my guineapigs and providing a large litter tray (probably the base of a guineapig cage) with a box to hide in.

I have just bought two 5ft rabbit shack hutches from ebay at a really good price of £43 each and they arrived today so I'd use them again. The seller is this one:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Extreme-Distribution

Mine have really quite rubbish hutches in their enclosures. Salt and Pepper have two single storey 3' ones, and Bobby and Ruby have a 4' and a 3' single storey. The size isn't really important as they have lots of room to run about in anyway.
Bobby and Ruby use one of theirs as the litter tray and the other as a goant hay rack. Salt and Pepper have a snooze in theirs in the afternoon.
Both pairs do spend most of their time sat on top of the hutches, so I'd definitely get one wth a flat roof.

Hi HS and kayjay, thanks for your replies. I have ordered one off ebay like the one you suggested kayjay, a 4ft one. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow! ht

Mine have my old plastic dog beds turned upside down! I thought it was a good way to recycle them rather than just binning them, and considering the bigger bed we bought 20yrs ago for my first weimaraner they are certainly durable!! they love them as they only have a small opening, so dark and cosy, but they can sit on the top too! But that hutch looks fab, mine have wooden boxes outside that are up on legs, when i remember to take some new pics I shall show everyone! x Jess

If it is any help, I have the run made by the same company who make that hutch, I have had it nearly 5 years, and it is still doing really well. My sis has that Hutch too, is so well built. deffo worth the money

I have a regular 4ft hutch - quite high and deep and I hook the sleeping quarter door back - handy to have as I clean the hutch out first then shut them in there while I clean the rest of the shed - they have a box as a step to jump out of the hutch, litter tray etc. is underneath the hutch - it just means that they don't lose any floor space.
My shed is 5ft wide but is 8ft long.
Image06.jpg

Angel & Digby have an old chest of drawers in their shed, ( draws removed ofcourse). They can snuggle up in it or jump up ontop & it gives them more floorspace to hop around in.
Works fine for me & only cost £3 at a garage sale!!! :D Though perhaps that just means i`m a cheapskate?! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Su.x

Hi everyone, we have installed the new bunny hutch! Tilly and Humphrey are having a bit of trouble locating the upstairs at the moment, but hopefully they will soon realise it is there and they can actually go in it.

Here are some pics but might be very big:

P1010004.jpg
[/img]

P1010001.jpg
[/img]

ht

cannonwoman said:
Angel & Digby have an old chest of drawers in their shed, ( draws removed ofcourse). They can snuggle up in it or jump up ontop & it gives them more floorspace to hop around in.
Works fine for me & only cost £3 at a garage sale!!! :D Though perhaps that just means i`m a cheapskate?! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Su.x

What a great idea!!!!

Back