• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a rip off!

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
When I dropped the rabbits off at the vets this morning I asked if it would be ok for them to clip the girls claws while they were under GA. Said I was going to do it myself but they get stressed out easil so thought they could just do it while they were under the GA.

Got the bill when I came to collect them... they'd charged me £8 each to cut their claws! :shock: :eek: :x

If they'd have said 'Yes we can do it, but its going to be £8' I'd have said no thanks, i'll do it myself! But £8! That's ridiculous!

Grrrr! :evil: :evil:

omg thats unreal! :shock: i would meantion to them next time they could have just explained it would be extra. £8 is loads and they are under the ga so not like they had to struggle with them - they could have just done that for free!!!
id be so mad esp if they didnt tell me it would be that much. its not hard to slip in .. yes that fine we can do that but it will be x amount!

bumble3130 said:
omg thats unreal! :shock: i would meantion to them next time they could have just explained it would be extra. £8 is loads and they are under the ga so not like they had to struggle with them - they could have just done that for free!!!
id be so mad esp if they didnt tell me it would be that much. its not hard to slip in .. yes that fine we can do that but it will be x amount!

I did ask why they didn't tell me.

I asked why there was an extra £16 charge and she said it was because they had their nails clipped and I asked why no one mentioned it and because if they had told me i'd have done it myself!

But I know what you mean, it wouldn't have been hard to say it will cost however much.

When I took my boys to be neutered they did it for free so even though it was the same vet I just presumed they'd do it for free!

That's like when we had Deej neutered and they added £10 to the bill for removing his ring from his leg, when we didn't even ask them to remove it! :shock:

Thats not really fair is it. My old vet used to charge for every little thing- when Hann was neutered they asked if I wanted them to check his molars when he was under the GA and I niavely just said ok and then they charged me about £12 for burring them! Obviously if it needed doing then fair enough, but its not right to not mention a cost.

The vet I go to now are brill. When Audrey had her teeth done before christmas it took me a couple of days to notice they'd very kindly done her nails as well!

I would be so mad. It's supposed to be £3 extra at my vets but they always go, aw just have it free.

The ring thing is pretty bad. Can you imagine if you showed your rabbits and the vet deringed them, you'd have to pay to get it redone aswell.

thats ridiculous! at work we cut the nails of every cat/dog/gp/rabbit/whatever, if it needs done whilst they are under GA and we never charge. its second nature to us, we just do it the same as we automatically clean out dirty ears and brush out tats...although I must say I once laboured over a very tatty fox terrier who was a mess, so shaggy and tatty. the owner then complained because I'd made her dog look fluffy instead of ruggid :? I was just like erm...ok he will be shaggy looking again in a couple of days since you obviously never brush the poor mite!

My vets did do Benji's for me while he was being de plummed, and they didnt charge me,

when i took duchess on friday they done hers i think free of charge then she made a fuss of teegra and said did i want his done as he was here so she done them too :D

£8 is a ridiculous price! they better have givan a full manicure for that!

Well that seems very expensive (esp as you weren't told), mine had their claws done with the Myxi jabs with no extra cost (just part of the general MOT) ok, the myxi jabs weren't cheap but that's not the point!

Snowy have PM'd you.

The spaying was fairly cheap but I really do feel that I should have been told of the pricing from the start.

For £8 I could and would have done it myself as I was claw clipping on Saturday, just thought it'd stress them out less to have it done at the vets and little baby claws are soooo sharp!

lynda_m said:
Got the bill when I came to collect them... they'd charged me £8 each to cut their claws! :shock: :eek: :x

If they'd have said 'Yes we can do it, but its going to be £8' I'd have said no thanks, i'll do it myself! But £8! That's ridiculous!

Grrrr! :evil: :evil:

That's what my vets charge!

Well, many thanks to Snowy who I have been PM'ing about this. She uses the same vets and spoke to them re the charges. Apparently its a standard charge whether you are having a dog done or a rabbit or any other animal.

Snowy managed to get me an £8 credit to my account so it worked out at £4 each which is much better than £8.

There's a definite lesson to be learned though... always ask how much!!!

Thanks again Theo :)

lynda_m said:
Well, many thanks to Snowy who I have been PM'ing about this. She uses the same vets and spoke to them re the charges. Apparently its a standard charge whether you are having a dog done or a rabbit or any other animal.

Snowy managed to get me an £8 credit to my account so it worked out at £4 each which is much better than £8.

It's a pleasure, always here to try and help!! :lol: :lol:

snowy said:
lynda_m said:

It's a pleasure, always here to try and help!! :lol: :lol:

Definately the one to know Snowy!! I use the same vets and I once naively asked them to clip nails and check Charlie's eyes whilst he was under GA - ended up with a £12 bill for a tear duct flush and £8 for the nail clip - bought some bunny nail clippers off ebay for £2.99 - saved me a fortune!! :roll:

I bought some nail clippers for about £3 at the weekend and my dad's wife helped me clip the boys. I said we'd leave the girls as i'd ask the vets to do it whilst they were under GA as they are very jumpy and would probably scratch us to pieces and would be less stressful to them.

However, will defiantely be doing it myself next time, getting scratched to pieces wins over spending 8 quid :lol:

My Dad's wife has 'borrowed' the nail clippers now... at £3 I don't know why she just didn;t get her own as she has dogs as well :roll: so doubt I will ever see mine again :lol:

My vets clip claws routinely when the bunnies come in for their vaccs or some other reason. That's really out of order! :evil:

AMETHYST

Back