• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Got Back From Vet Today - Cataract

baobao

Young Bun
hey all

last night just discovered that his left eye was cloudy so i took him to vet this morning n they said it was a cataract

atm i am not too sure wat caused it but the vetnerian said it could be heritage and there is nothing they can do about it

i am happy that he isnt in pain but i am quite concerned that his other eye might be affected and i dont know what to do from then

any suggestions

thanks

nana

It could be E. Cuniculi a parasite which is known to cause problems such as cataracts, head tilt, brain damage and renal problems. I would suggest your vets starts him on a course of Panacur just in case.

wat r the chances that he has E.C

the vet said there is nothing wrong with him and he should be fine for the time being and tbh i dont really want to go back to the vet for another check up since i dont get my paycheque until the end of this month

can i just buy panacur from the vet or do i have to take baobao in again and get it prescribed?

My 7 year old adopted rabbit Rusty has cataracts and is blind as a result. She is sometimes clingy and follows me round the garden glued to my leg but other times she is well adventurous and hops round. I feel that she has adapted very well to her condition and I will not have her operated on.... her quality of life is great.

An interesting article..

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/eyes.shtml

awww thats so sweet

i feel really sorry for baobao atm, he is only a year old and so far he had one of his leg amputated and now his eye has a cataract. I love him to bits and he is such a clever rabbit

i kno rabbits can cope well being partially blind but is there a way that eye can be operated even if he had it for a while or cant be recovered

thanks

Nana

Both my dog and horse have reduced sight :( , Beth has it in both eyes shes not blind but she does sometimes go`s off with other people whilst out walking.

Paddy had uveitis last year and has lost about 70% of his slight in his o/s eye, he is still ridden but I do make sure when where out hacking whats going on around us.

As your Rabbit is young I would advise you do get him treated for EC ASAP. Eye lens damage is a common feature of EC contracted from the Doe (mother) at birth.

Here is some information about the condition

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

The sooner EC is treated the better with regard to damage limitation and longterm prognosis.
Treatment usually involves a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Panacur Rabbit)

Janex

kk, i am going back to nottingham this thursday night so i will take him to vet on friday morning for a second opinion.

Is it possible for his eye to be fixed?

They can operate on cataracts but its VERY VERY expensive. treatment can slow/stop the progression but it cannot undo the damage.

We have a foster bun whose went untreated by his previous owners and his whole pupil is white, he can barely see a thing. He has learnt to cope exceptionally well though.

Monica my dutch has a cataract in her left eye, at the moment her right eye is unaffected. i took her to vets just to confirm it was a cataract. the vet was very hesitant about operating as she is five years old. as she has sight in her other eye, it probably would be more damaging to her health to operate so i have made the choice to leave her as she is. she eats, drinks, plays with her toys and sharing her house with four other rabbits enjoys plenty of companionship.

baobao said:
hey all

last night just discovered that his left eye was cloudy so i took him to vet this morning n they said it was a cataract

atm i am not too sure wat caused it but the vetnerian said it could be heritage and there is nothing they can do about it

i am happy that he isnt in pain but i am quite concerned that his other eye might be affected and i dont know what to do from then

any suggestions

thanks

nana

Back