• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help! update - back from vets

while we had huge gale force winds i moved benji and oscar in their hutches into the shed which harvey roams free in.
anyways i just gone to turn the light off for the night and somewhere been 5pm and now benji has managed to get out of his hutch ( i dont think i could have locked it properly) and to my shock i discovered clumps of harveys hair everywhere and poor harvey just sat in his litter tray. ive inspected both all over. benji is fine. harvey has been bitten a little on his ear and the blood has dried and he also has a bloodshot eye.
ive bought him inside and hes eating and drinking fine.
this may seem a stupid question but do i clean his ear? and what with ?
do i need to take him to see a vet or shall i just keep my eye on him because i cant see any serious damage and the fact hes eating and drinking still must be good. i was so shocked and i feel so :censored: :censored: stupid for not double checking the latch altho im sure i put it up right because i always do. i wanna cry aswell cas my poor baby got hurt and was obviously very trauamatised!
my duty for tomoz is to move oscar and benji back into garden now the winds have gone but i feel so awful and a rubbish bunny mummy :cry:

Awwww I have been in exactly the same situation when Bunsters have got into places the shouldn't be :roll:

I would gently bathe Harvey's ear and eye with cooled boiled water. It is a good idea to take him to the Vet tomorrow as if his eye is bloodshot it is important to check the cornea is not scratched. He may need some antibiotic eye drops.

I would also check both Bunnies over again in the morning. It is so easy to miss a 'new' bite wound but once they have hardened up you can feel them.

Janex

If there are any cuts on the skin that look sore (but aren't open) you can use sudocream on them. That's about as much as I know!! :oops: :?

not long got in from our trip to the vets with poor harvey. noticed a wound near his eye last night which looked very painful but he let me touch it and clean it. felt like something hard was stuck in there and i thought it was a nail. vet pulled it out and the whole wound opened up again and its so big. vet gave option of couple of stitches but said he would want to give him a g/a with it being so close to his eye or i could dab the wound with antiseptic solution. i went for the antiseptic as he said it would close up again. also have to dab abit on his ear everyday. and was given antibiotics. have to go back in a week to see how the healing is going.
when i tried to get him out of carrier at vets he went all limp and i honestly thought he had died. it scared the living daylights out of me it really did.
hoping it heals soon, any spare vibes would be good for me lil man! so worried and feel so stupid!

oo vet said his eye was fine and prob bloodshot due to the injury recieved near to the eye

What did the vet pull out? Glad Harvey's been seen by the vet and is being given antibiotics. These buns are such a worry!

oh sorry missed the bit what he pulled out lol
well i was worried it was abit of nail because it was solid and sharp and hard. once he pulled it out he released it was abit of skin that had gone really hard with the wound healing itself. felt abit sharp and jagey to me to be skin! :shock:

oh kirsty hun im so sorry about poor harvey - really hope he gets better soon.

please don't feel bad, you are an excellent bunny and gp mummy.

oh kirsty hun im so sorry about poor harvey - really hope he gets better soon.

please don't feel bad, you are an excellent bunny and gp mummy.

Back