• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pre-op arrangemnts for Furby

capel

Warren Veteran
Furby is going in for her spay on Thursday, and will be brought into the house for a day or two while she is recovering, though if the weather turns as cold as the reports say, then it may be a week or two. Im just worried that putting her somewhere strange when she returns from the vet may well add more stress. I have an enormous dog cage which will be going into the coldest bedroom in the house, but I wondered if I should bring her in tomorrow so that she gets used to the surroundings. I have an enormous piece of vet bed that I've been wrapping her in when I carry her between the hutch and run every day so that it has her scent on, and I'll be putting that in a new soft cat bed in the cage. She uses her sleeping area in the hutch as her toilet and when out in the run uses the Trixie shelter for her litter tray. She's obviously a bun who likes her privacy!!! I was hoping to get her used to an ordinary litter tray while in the cage, as I wouldn't want to put the box in as she jumps up onto it to sleep! Or wouldn't that do her any harm?(i'm thinking about the effect on her stitches!) Loads of questions..sorry..

I would bring her in after her op, and just keep her quiet (she will prob be sleepy anyway), keep her warm and make sure she is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing.
She will be fine try not to worry. :D Good luck to Furby :wave:

I would just keep her in after her op'
She will still be groggy anyway so not really too aware of being in a different 'house'
The fact that her Vetbed will smell familiar will be comforting. That was a good idea of yours to carry her in it :thumb:

Hopping into an ordinary litter tray should not be a problem. Just dont let her jump up onto anything too high.
Sir Victor is booked in for his op' on Thursday too so we can be stressed out Bunny Mummies together!!

Janex

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping the box wouldn't be a good idea as now I can justify getting a tray for her. I was feeling mean about changing her toilet regime!! She does seem to like to "go" in an enclosed space!! Should I have her indoors pre-op to get her used to the new surroundings? She's an outdoor bun at the moment but will hopefully be an indoor bun around june/july with my son when his house is ready(PLEASE!!!!!) to move into. Her time indoors will be a test to see if he develops any allergy to her fur, though we are hopeful as he hasn't had an instant reaction when he holds and pets her. He is HIGHLY allergic to cats, so I was a bit concerned. Heck I've rambled off topic here.. :lol:

Its not the fur that bothers me it is the hay so you might wanna take that into consideration :D Test your son and make him sniff a big bag of hay :lol:

I am sure Furby will be fine indoors after the op. If she feels unsure of her new home you will be there which will be a comfort :D

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT :? :? He has hay fever every year from May onwards. I don't think he's thought of the hay factor either!!! Off downstairs to get the bin and make him inhale now.. Thanks for that. BRB

Its not the fur that bothers me it is the hay so you might wanna take that into consideration

Yeah, I'm really allergic to most types of hay! i look like this :arrow: :cry: Tends to be cheap hay from pet shops that does it, cos I'm fine with Hay Experts Oxbrow Timothy Hay!

Nicola

Just checked with him..his allergies seem to be quite specific..cat hair(totally unaffected by dog hair) and pollen. He's not noticed any symptoms when dealing with the rabbits' bedding...they have a layer of megazorb, then straw and finally hay. PHEW!!! He was totally allergy free(apart from an egg allergy when he was a toddler) until about 10 years ago when he was 16. It all seemed to be triggered by a stay at a friend's house and he was handling her kittens.

Back