• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please rate these hutch / home designs for me ?

kerry1971

Warren Scout
HI all :D - thanks for the hutch advice i received earlier - I am getting my *first* bunnies ( german giants ) to keep outside and also some guineapigs from the local animal home to keep indoors.

Having now had a good look around on the internet at designs, here are two houses i found that seem to fit the needs of my new family members - How do they look to you as 'experts' ? I can get my hubby to make me these if you think they would be ok - they look like the best designs - with the most space and fun for the animals :D

G.Pig house - Picture 1 - i think stairs are too wierd - i think a slope would be better .....

Bunny house - I think a much larger run for the giant bunnies would be required ----- Picture 2

http://www.myauctionpix.com/membertemplate.php?a_id=1320&bg_id=19

Thanks for the advice x

Can't really judge them without the dimensions. They look well designed though. I'm not an expert :) I would say that you have to be carefull when making them yourself though as using someone elses design is a bit morally ehish. :)

Also with the wood one of the guineapigs it looks like it would be very difficult to clean, so many fiddly bits.

The second picture looks great :) You'd need to make the ramp quite wide and maybe add a side as giants aren't as agile as littler buns.

I saw someone with a playhouse converted similar to that, you can but childrens playhouses that are on long legst hen just mesh around the legs and add a ramp - might be easier than building from scratch.

Tam

Whether its practical or not that looks amazing. Maybe you could pay some one else to clean it :lol:

The rabbit design looks fab :thumb: It might be better though if the actually hutch was slightly larger considering that the buns are going to be giants :D

Although I've never had piggies, I have read and heard that they do better with 'room to run'. Rather than height, square footage is better for guinea pigs. :wink:

Hi Looking at the Bunyhouse picture, I feel the ramp looks pretty narrow and the slope quite steep. One way around that problem could be if you put a wide shelf along the back of the run area so that there would be a short ramp from the hutch to the shelf and another short one to the ground.

i know its not what you're after but that first one would be fantastic for rats :D

i think the second type is quite good. i bet you are excited about getting your first buns!!

Well rats would be cool too but they may scare some customers! i would like one house inside the shop so i have company and the customers kiddies can see the pets - the giant bunnies will be outside the shop as we have lots of space there and we can really go to town building an empire for them LOL.-... im going to the pet home near us at 3pm today - im piddling myself with excitement! - i have heard they have some ferrets - Gpigs mice and hamsters to be rehomed so maybe some hamsters would be nice - we will see - as soon as i know we can start building somehting and reserve our new family members - i dont think they will have any german giant rabbits so they will have to come next month when their housing estate is completed ;) .

**HapPy DaNcE *** im sooooo excited :D

not sure about the guinea one, i know some guineas dont like ramps, not sure they would cope with stairs, and they rather enjoy space to run around rather than many levels and fun stuff. i would imagine it would be rat heaven though! guineas would probably rather a 2 level thing, wiht loads of ground space, lots of hidey holes and stuff. if you browse around on here theres loads of guinea set ups too. the rabbit one looks lovely, as long as its big enough, hard ot tell from a pic, but also think about how hard the things are to clean out.

HI Deelove :) We have a animal feed shop - we sell just two british feed brands that the germans consider 'posh' and as horse owners it was a simple thing to just start buying more and more feed and selling it from the house - our home used to be a guest house and pub so we have two huge rooms empty on the road - they are now the shop - one side is equestrian gifts - accessories etc and the other side is horse, dog, cat , ferret and rabbit feed :D We have the animals to match the feed except a ferret and rabbit.! I dont think a ferret would go down well as some customers wont like it but everyone loves bunnies - especially me! I didnt have one as a kid and always wanted one - now we have a lot of space I can really go mad and build a crazy OTT bunny empire LOL...Im SOOOOOOOo excited. Yesterday i went to the pet home but they wont let me have any bunnies till spring - they are VERY funny here in germany about rehoming - so now i have to wait :( booohhooo - h well. Its so much fun having a shop - i love it :D if you want one - go for it!

Back