• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilly-May

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Hi Everyone,

As you might already know, we had some scary stuff happen with Till yesterday :( I'd just like to ask a few questions if thats OK? Although the vet we saw was fantastic, there are still so many questions floating round my head :roll:

Tills seems fine in herself, as she did yesterday. Just a few hours before she started fitting, we were laughing at her for trying to get through the kitchen window when we were eating lunch :roll: The fact that she seems Ok worries me, what if she has another fit and I miss it? Shes on pancuar for 9 days, to rule out EC, and treat if thats what it is.

Does she need to go back to the vets even if she seems ok? If yes, when?

If it is a brain tumor, will she go downhill slowly? Or overnight? Is it likely to even be a brain tumor?

Someone mentioned that it sounded like a bleed on the brain, but she hasn't seen Till, is this likely?

Sorry for so many questions, There are still about a million and one whizzing round in my head!! :oops: I just want her to be better, Now! She's my baby, She's pulled me through both Charlie's and Boo's deaths, I owe it to her to get her better, and I'll move heaven & earth to do it!

Thanks so much for everything Guys.

Becki Xx

Is she on the 'Panacur Rabbit' (18.5% Fenbendazole) or ordinary Panacur (10% Fenbendazole)?

If the latter then I think she would need to be on a 28 day course minimum.

As there is no way of telling if Tilly will have more Fits then all you can do is observe her closely and note if her accomodation ever looks unusually 'messed up', a fitting Rabbit will of course thrash about. Also check Tills each day for any unexplained injuries.

As your Vet probably explained there are lots of conditions that can cause fits aswell as EC. These include strokes (either a bleed on the brain or a blood clot), a condition relating to 'over calcification' of arteries causing a reduced blood supply to the brain, inflammation of the lining of the brain (meningitis), A heart defect causing a transient loss of blood supply to the brain, Abscesses on the brain as a result of pasteurellosis.......

The Rabbits I have had who have had fits were treated to 'cover all bases' ie Panacur for EC, Baytril for a Bacterial Meningitis/Abscess plus anti-inflammatories.
One Bun, Billie, who had Idiopathic Epilepsy (fits with no known cause) was treated with an anti-convulsant drug (Phenobarbitone) I also had to keep an emergency supply of Diazepam (Valium) which was in liquid form and administered into his bottom if he had a severe fit.

As far as Tilly is concerned I would take her back to the Vet in a week just to get her checked over again. And obviously take her back straight away if she has another fit.
I know it is very worrying for you not knowing if or when she will fit again. But Tilly wont be worried at all as as far as she is concerned she feels fine :D

I dont know if she has a 2 storey hutch but if she does it might be a good idea to only have her on one level so IF she were to fit again there would not be any risk of her falling down the ramp

Janex

Thanks for the reply Jane :)

She's on Panacur Rabbit (18.5%) until next Sunday. We've all been checking on her every 10 minutes since 5am, and every half hour through last night, There are no signs of another fit. The vet explained lots of possible reasons for this happening, and seemd to rule out some more than others.

Jack's-Jane said:
Abscesses on the brain as a result of pasteurellosis.......

Very Interested in this ... I take it its something related to pasturella? Which is what we lost Boo to :? Would it show up on her chest or something though?

Does Tills know that she had a fit? (Sorry if i sound stupid here :roll:) She has been fine today, although this morning she wasnt entirely 'with it' I dont think :? Seems fine now though.

She does have a two storey, I'll get the bottom blocked off straight away .. never thought of that :shock:!

I'll take her back to the vets when the meds have run their full course, which is a day over a week :)

Thanks Ever so Much, Becki x

Totally agree with everything Jane has said and the only thing I would add is to try and be normal around her and act like everything is normal.

Bunnies can pick up vibes from humans (I believe) and will suss out if you are stressed and may become agitated herself, I know it's hard to do but just treat her like you do normally.

I doubt she will know if she has had a fit, I would be interested in Janes answer to that question.

Best of luck with Till and sending you and Till massive hugs, you have had enough heartbreak recently and don't need anymore so Tilly has to get better and with your help I'm sure she can do it.

Good Luck

My old bun Willie used to have fits :(

He intially only had one at a time, and he would be upset for a few days, very skittish and needed convincing to eat. He started having fist more frequently. It started with about one every 3 months, and as he became more ill there would be less time between his fits (as little as two weeks between epsiodes). When we got to that point he had several on the days that he did fit.

You will deffinitley be able to tell if Tilly has been fitting, and she will know as well.

xxx Sending some vibes for Tilly!

Aspen'n'company said:
My old bun Willie used to have fits :(

He intially only had one at a time, and he would be upset for a few days, very skittish and needed convincing to eat. He started having fist more frequently. It started with about one every 3 months, and as he became more ill there would be less time between his fits (as little as two weeks between epsiodes). When we got to that point he had several on the days that he did fit.

You will deffinitley be able to tell if Tilly has been fitting, and she will know as well.

xxx Sending some vibes for Tilly!

Do they know if they have had a fit?, I thought that maybe they wouldn't know, of course I could be wrong, I'm really interested in this

Well my Billie had several fits a day and the only time he knew something had happened was if he had one which made him shoot across the floor. When he came round after one of these he would thump as he was in 'the wrong place' He never seemed at all distressed, not even after a BIG fit. Allthough the diazepam up his bum may account for that as he would just sleep for 2-3 hours.

Malcolm, my Bun who had fits due to a heart condition looked a bit dazed for 2-3 minutes after a seizure. He then just got on with what he had been doing (usually eating :roll: ) as if nothing had happened

Leo has had 2 strokes which caused confussion and loss of balance rather than a full blown fit. On both occassions he was distressed when the 'episode' happened but he gradually improved with intensive nursing care. The second stroke has robbed him of his sight though.

I think it really depends on what causes the fit as to whether a Bun knows something has happened. For example with a brain abscess the pressure in their head will hurt and so they will 'feel poorly' and therefore 'know' something is wrong. But with Billie's epilepsy I honestly dont think he was bothered. He coped with it for 7 years!!

Janex

Thank You Theo, Aspen, and Jane again :wink: I've looked up so much today my brain is turning to mush :roll: Jane .. You dont know anything more about Abscesses on the brain as a result of pasteurellosis do you? :) X

I can't exactly prove Willie knew he had fits. I can say that he was always more reserved and cautious after having them. His fits were very serious and every fit he ever had was acompanied by a long, drawn out scream. His fits caused hima great deal of pain :cry: He was also bonded to Aspen and Ashlee and they took fab care of him. They spent the whole day at his side, they even went with him to the litter box so he wouldn't be alone.

With all of those factors condsidered, I assume that Willie was very aware of his fits :(

-Brandon

Oh My Goodness!!! :shock: Poor Willie :cry: The vet confirmed that the noises I heard when she had her fit were the sound of her grinding her teeth in pain :cry: X

beckiboo186 said:
Oh My Goodness!!! :shock: Poor Willie :cry: The vet confirmed that the noises I heard when she had her fit were the sound of her grinding her teeth in pain :cry: X

Awww poor Tilly - I hope she recovers well and it doesnt reoccur. I dont know anything about this illness but again am learning so much about rabbit care. Give her lots of cuddles x

Bugsy fitted once and had a stroke which left him a much weaker bunny. He then would have them quite regularly but we never did find out what it was. And as you probably remember he died of an abscess which was totally unrelated.He never seemed to realise afterwards that he had had fits either he would just get up and carry on with wahtever he was doing. Jane is your key to all this. She knows her stuff! Sending lots of vibes your way xxxxx

Lots of love, Charlotte, Lily-May, Maisy, Princess Caramel and Littlebun x

i too want to send my very best healing vibs to tilly, andd will add her to my night time prayer list.

good luck to you and bun....

Back