• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning feet - agressive bunny

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Hi folks

A few of you might remember that I posted some time ago about the little bunny next door to me looked after by two girls who although perhaps is looked after better than some bunnies - the basic needs still get neglected at times, despite all my efforts with leaflets and advice etc.

Well to cut a long gripe short - I wondered if any of you good bunny folks could give me advice as the door bell went at 8.00 pm last night -

1. for some food for him :x - (good job I was in eh :x :x )
2. To ask if I could pop round as his feet were in a filthy state and could I pop round to clean them :cry: :cry:

This bunny is not neutered and hates being picked up, not surprising if you read on below :!: :!: - so can anyone give me any advise re handling him and what to clean the fur with?

My initial thoughts are that:-

1. His living area has not been cleaned correctly
2. His diet is lacking fibre etc so he is getting sticky botton/feet
3. The girls did mention they had tried to wash him in the sink and dropped him :evil: :evil: - so I'm hoping that he has no spinal injury which is preventing him from grooming :cry: :cry:

I'll take some garden gloves with me for handling as I know all too well how deep bunnies can bite from some of the past bunny runs :) :)

Thanks Folks

Oh that poor bunster. :cry: At least they have asked you for help tho. Poor little man, if he has been dropped then no wonder he is a biter :cry:

poor bunny let us know how you get on. If you kneel down with him holding with one arm so his bum is resting on your legs feet up you should be able to get to his feet without being bitten! I've had to do aggressive bunny bums like this and they've been fine. If the children are reasonably capable get them to hold the bunny like that so you can get both hands on his feet!

Poor bunny. Could you not put him in the bath with some very shallow luke warm water???? Put him in the bath empty and then just let the water slowly trickle in so you have enough for him to walk in. That way he can just walk about in the water to loosen the worst of the mess off - Pickle was messy when I got him and he loved his daily baths (used to put a tiny bit of bunny shampoo in as well). I only used to get wet the parts that had to be got wet!!!

You can get some good rabbit shampoo which will help clean up his feet and the bath idea is a good one. You could try wrapping him in a towel whilst rubbing the shampoo into his feet - with regards to sticky bottom it probably is down to poor diet - he needs lots of hay and good pellets.

It might be an idea to let the water trickle in from a jug rather than run the taps as he's obviously a very stressed-out bun, and the noise and vibration from a running tap might be too much for him. Just a thought, can't you lock the kids in the bathroom, kidnap the bun and run away with him? :wink: It must break your heart to have to hand him over!

are you sure he is aggressive Lany :?: dont un-neutered males just want to make lurrrvvve to everyone and everything :lol: :lol: :lol: Is there any chance that this could be a hormonal little Miss ASBO :?: :lol:

Does he have access to a run or is he hutched all the time :?: As being as he has had the truamatic experience of trying to be bathed, think I would try this option first :?: before stressing him out even further :wink:

Take one bunny
Place in garden for a good couple of hours run around with adult supervision, even better if it has had a sprinkle of rain to moisten the grass :wink:

Hopefully, when bunny heads home he should be able to clean himself up good and proper before donning his bib and tucks ready for supper :wink: :lol:

If it really is that bad as in he has been to Mr Minute and had new BunnyPoo soles fitted then I would say it is due to his living conditions :(

any news on this or has Lany been savaged by a wabbit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have the bunnypoo wellies been removed from the said bun yet :?:

What is the best way to clean a rabbits back end. The vet said the stray i have Buttons has a little matted area on his bum although isn't that bad how would i clean it or would he do it naturaly.

Kezza30 said:
What is the best way to clean a rabbits back end. The vet said the stray i have Buttons has a little matted area on his bum although isn't that bad how would i clean it or would he do it naturaly.

un-scented wet ones usually do the trick if he is not doing it himself, or just get a wet warm sponge of water :D however, if it is the matted area that is causing the cling-ons to get stuck then giving that matted area a trim with some round ended scissors will not harm :wink: I gave my Marcelly Bun a neat bikini line trim when he had the paralysis so that he was less likely to get soiled and have cling-ons :wink: I would not trim too close though :wink: they need abit of pubic hair to keep their priviates warm :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thankyou Benny, it's only a small matted are that was there when we found him so i was going to give it a good clean to stop it getting more mattered.

Bathing is a bad idea. When a rabbits fur gets wet it twists and matts making things worse. Letting the mud dry and combing it out gently is the best way.
I would be happy to clean this chap up and even happier to find him a new home. Rabbits don't argue with me about being cleaned - except Strawberry :roll:

Back