• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help me please - edited,she's home, edted, shes gone :(

rock*

Mama Doe
Emergency vet how quick should rabbit be treated

my rabbit has cut her eye open, took her emergency vets (not normal vet) at 3.00pm said they ned to operated straight away n should be quick procedure and would stitch eye as soon as possible. I have just rang up now because i have not heard from them and rabbit has still not even gone under aneasthic yet. i fuming its been four hours and still not operated on. I was told not to leave her until monday and let normal vet operted on her as her eye would dry up making it immposible to operate properly so i left her in the understanding she was being done staight away. its going to cost as an emergency fee and opeartion about £250+ im not happy and dont know whether to leave her before they strat now and wait until monday or have her opertated on and have to pay for emergency fees when they have not treated her as one.

I am sorry your Bun is injured

I am sure it is best to get her treated now and even though it is frustrating that the surgery has not yet taken place it will be done tonight.
I suspect your Bun is already on treatment (antibiotics/pain relief/ 'false tears which are drops to keep the eye lubricated)
I think your Bun should stay with the emergency Vets
Please let us know how she gets on

Janex

thank you jane for your adice yes i will leave her im just so worried about her i wanted her to be looked after staight away not be made to wait 4hrs
+ on her own

i will keep u posted

Hi sorry to hear about your rabbit. Don't know anything about it but like Jane says your bun is in the right place :D

I am sure the Vets and staff will be looking after her
And if she is to have a GA its a good idea to give her time to settle down rather than being anaethetised straight away :)

Janex

Even if she hasnt been operated on, she is under the watchful eye of a qualified vet - so I would suspect she is getting the treatment she needs. Hope she gets better quickly after the op x

Sorry to hear about your bun..as Jane has said she is in the best place..please pm me details of which vet she is with....
thinking of you J xx

im so sorry about your rabbit. i can understand why you may be abit angry but im sure they are giving her the best possible care and shes being well looked after. sending healing vibes to your bun x

she is back home now :D and is sleeping off the GA. The operation was a sucess and she should be right as rain soon.

Thank you all for your kind words and replies xxx

will keep you informed on how she is

yes iam so releived. iwas so worried about her she is such a sweet lovely little girl. hopefully she will soon be up to mischief!

my little baby girl Ezmerelda passed away early hours on sunday morning (She has a tribute on rainbow bridge) i think the GA was too much for her little body.

when i saw her at the vets she was really woosy n floppy n breathing funny and i said to the vet that she wasnt ok and he told me to take her home n put her in her hutch to recover. I sais im not happy with her breathing and he said she will be fine by morning. Sadly she only lasted a few hours and i was powerless to do anything. i feel awful :( i loved her so much.

do you think the vet should have kept her in to recover properly after the op? i think she was released to soon. what does anyone else think.

OMG I'm so sorry for your loss :(
I lost my wonderful 7 month old bun on Wednesday through her not having proper after care.. Its so hard so know how you are feeling :(
Karen x

Im so sorry that you have lost Ezmerelda :(

I do agree with you that the vet should not have let her home as it seems obvious from your description that she had not recovered well enough to be taken home.

When you are ready I would made a complaint.

Again, im so sorry :(

Oh no I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it feels so unfair and you immediately want to blame someone for whats happened. Maybe you should speak to your vet and ask him to explain everything to you. Thats what I would do.
We had to have Grace pts recently, and I wanted to know why there was nothing else they could do for her, and having a good talk through everything with the vet helped. Vets seem to presume you don't want to know technical medical stuff, but its not true, and all you have to do is ask.

again I'm so sorry, i know how painful losing a bun is. (((big hugs)))

Nicola

Back