• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to give up bonding?

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

I am currently bonding 2 rabbits (not mine) and was just after a few tips! They are brother and sister, 1 year old, both neutered - the male about 6-8 weeks ago and the female 1 month ago. They have been apart for about 3 or 4 months now, but would like to get them back together.

They have been in runs next to eachother for the past couple of weeks, no signs of aggression etc. I put them in neutral territory together this morning, they were fine for about 10 -15 mins and then the male started pestering the female, they started chasing eachother and then started fighting, fur flying!!! I separated them and they have been in adjacent runs all day, not a peep from either of them!

Now I was thinking of trying again next week. But I don't know how many goes I should give it before I decide that they won't get on. I obv don't want any major fights or to stress the bunnies out too much. But it would be lovely to get them back together, though obv not a problem if I can't!

I do know that when they were together before, because they were both entire the male would not leave the female alone! Do you think that she now has problems with him because of this and memories from when they were last together?

Nicola

I don't think it's long enough since they were neutered for their hormone levels to have dropped much. I wouldn't rush things - why hurry? I would have them living next to each other for a few months before trying them in neutral territory together. So long as they aren't attacking each other through the wire, they will probably accept each other given time.

Thanks, yeah you are prob right about the hormone levels. They are rescue bunnies who are up for homing so if right home comes along would be nice to home them as a pair :D I obv won't rush them but might need to make a decision quicker than in a few months! Ta very much for your input though :)

Have you tried a car ride? Gets them over that initial hump.
Start with a car ride so they cuddle up, then neutral space, with another trip if they go for eachother again. If after a few hours of this they don't settle so that one gives ground I would consider different partners. Or waiting before trying again. I don't think living next to each other helps that much as rabbits love to have a dear enemy to argue with. Certainly none of mine that have lived next door for years could be bonded. They love to hate each other too much :lol: Out of the hutches, tail up, patrol that boundary, great fun 8)

Thanks Louise :) I will see how it goes in the week, just didn't want to put them through too much stress if the signs will be there that it won't work!!!

My buns at home love patrolling the boundaries too!! :lol:

Back