• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky poo

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Today i noticed that my bunny Bert had rather alot of sticky poo
stuck to his bum. Whilst i was cleaning him i noticed that one of his testicles is kinda like a flap of skin whilst the other is more
testicle like. Has too much broccoli caused th sticky poo?
i'm hoping his man bits are normal? The vet has never mentioned
them?
Thanks x

Sticky poo is usually the result of a diet too high in carbohydrates and not enough fibre. You may be feeding him too much pellet feed/cereal mix. The main part of his diet should be hay.

How old is Bert and has he been neutered? I think it might be a good idea to get your Vet to check Bert over, especially if he is an entire Buck with an abnormal looking testicle.

Rabbits who are poor hay eaters and eat mainly pellet feed/cereal mix are likely to develop dental problems. One symptom of this is a mucky bum. So it would be a good idea to ask your Vet to check Berts teeth too.

It is important to clean the poo off your Bunny as although Fly-Strike is less of an issue in winter( although not impossible) the Poo may make his 'boys bits' sore

Janex

He is fed timothy hay along with his pellet mix. Should i just feed him hay for a few days? I bathed his boy bits and bum area today when i realised he was dirty. He is a bit of a fidget so i couldn't quite see if his bits looked different because of the way he was sitting! He is around a year old now and is uneutered. I'll take him to be checked over on Monday. Isn't it actually national rabbit week next week?

bathing?

Can i bath Bert? I have rabbit shampoo and would be able to blow dry him dry with the cool setting on my hairdryer?

JellyBelly said:
He is fed timothy hay along with his pellet mix. Should i just feed him hay for a few days? I bathed his boy bits and bum area today when i realised he was dirty. He is a bit of a fidget so i couldn't quite see if his bits looked different because of the way he was sitting! He is around a year old now and is uneutered. I'll take him to be checked over on Monday. Isn't it actually national rabbit week next week?

Yes it is National Rabbit Week :D

I would cut back on the pellet feed and this should encourage Bert to fill up on hay :D Hopefully more fibre will sort his poo out!!
If he has Excel Pellets it may be better to change him over to either Science Selective or A+P Pellets. Excel seems to cause sticky poo in lots of Bunnies. Obviously the change over needs to be done gradually over about 2 weeks. You could also give Bert a probiotic in his drinking water. Something like Bio-Lapis or Avipro-Plus. Also there is a probiotic paste with added fibre called Fibreplex

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/listing.asp?catno=4

Janex

I used Excel and one of my bunnies had a bit of a sensitive tummy so am slowly changing over to Science Selective which both bunnies love!!!

Used probiotic for a while too (as Jane suggested to me) and now I have two healthy bunnies with good tummies!!

Well he's had hay for the last couple of days with a couple of pellets mixed in. At first he wasn't happy about his change of diet but today he really enjoyed it. I am going to slowly switch over to one of the suggetsed foods and hopefully this will sort out the sticky situation! x

My Mrs. Buns is also effected with a sticky bum along with tearing eyes and is going to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if bunnies grieve (I'm sure they do) but I'm not taking any chances.

She is not interested in her pellets or hay and I have been making her banana balls w/pellets mixed in - not sure if that is helping or hindering though. She is still munching on her veggies.

Either way, I will let you know what my vet says about the sticky bum after her appointment tomorrow.

I hope Bert is feeling better soon.

Brigitte

JellyBelly said:
Yes he does have Excel...i thought it was supposedd to be good!!
Thanks for your help x

I feed Excel and have never had any problems. However, it is my opinion that the directions on the bag for feeding quantities are WAY too much - they say 500g per rabbit per day, and I feed 125g per rabbit per day! :lol:

The rest of their food is hay and a handful of mixed veggies with the occasional dried fruit treat. Mine do fine on that diet, but I believe A&P or SS are better - I don't switch because mine are fine on their current diet plus it's harder to get A&P or SS in my area.

AMETHYST

Well i had previously fed him russel rabbit food, the original one. I'm not sure how people rate it? I switched over to the excel over a couple of weeks and then he got sticky poo. Huge lumps of it aswell.
He has fresh fruit or veg a couple of times a week. He gets occasional treats like little rabbit biscuits and rarely those rabbit chocolate drops.
I'm going to look into buying SS....

careful..ss can be worse than excel for poopy butt..it needs to be as small as quantity as you can give..ive had bertie since sept and hes put on 3lbs just changing over to ss throughout sept..i did try changing back to excel but it was a disaster they hated it! hed ben on allen and page and his poos have never been as big as they were with that but it comes in such a huge amountitd sopoil befoe it had been used up! so i changed his diet. Bif was on excle but oscar wasnt and he needed another dental and the claim about sss helping dentals made us buy it..however the lafalfa in it is my worry..alfalaf in russell rabbit and too much brassicas caused our old bun to get bladder and kindey crystals..its all about how much isnt it!
ss is good though..never any waste!

Out of the 20 or so buns that have been here no one has had any probs with SS but at least five had probs with Excel :?

My crew are on A & P and I've no problems with them - I changed from SS because of the cost but my fosters are on SS (- basically cos they were on crappy mix and wouldn't touch A & P but were happy with SS :roll: ) They came in with very dodgy poos but they cleared up pretty quick with the SS and hay diet.

If your rabbit has sticky poo or dirty bottom please don't feed them fruit of any kind or rabbit biscuits or pet shop treats. This is probably the cause of the bad tummy.
Stick to a small amount of pellets (mine are fed a handful of Science selective) lots of fresh hay a day and when they have healthy poo a small amount of green veg can be given.

Back